What's new

Lots of scratches...

smartmoney

Full Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
115
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been noticing many people are hitting their coins while digging them out. I have a tip that may help some of you if you dont do this already. When I get a target lets say is 5" deep and I am pretty sure its a wheatie or silver coin, I will cut a plug with my Lesche and scrape out some dirt. The I will use my Sun Ray pinpointer to see where exactly the target is located in the hole. Then I break out my screwdriver and "chip" away little by little to reveal the target. I will then either pluck it out or use my fingers and grab it. So the coin is not damaged with this technique plus I love seeing a silver coin in the hole while still embedded in the ground. Hope this helps some of you!!
 
I know a lot of shovel diggers that hit coins and other objects - I'm a knife digger
and I cut plugs and only hit coins that are on edge
I have a better record of not hitting objects since I got aGarrett pro pinter
and can locate objects easily still in the hole after initial plug is dug
 
Thanks for the advice Smartmoney and Casper. If you watch the Youtube videos, you see people scratching coins often. Pinpointers help eliminate the problem but with reckless digging there is a good chance you will scratch a nice find. It is a shame when you scratch a silver coin. I've done it on a couple of occasions and it is heartbreaking when you ruin what otherwise would have been another coin for the collection. Now I'm more careful.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom