May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD and Me

Six hours of steady swinging today at the nipple site, I call it that because I got a mid 17th C. nipple button there a couple of weeks ago.

Couldn't be more pleased with the results. Found a piece of an iron pot, and a lamp part, so if there was any kind of site there we were on it. Plus given the number of buttons, and a couple of coins.

I got a couple of firsts; (which is harder to do all the time, (after 7 years)) and makes it a good hunt.

1) french Liard either 1650's (edit, yes it's 1650's)or 1690's not sure just yet, but either way a major milestone copper for me. The first ever pos. IDable 1600's coin I've found, so am supper happy with that one. (that's one off the top ten list too)
2) a "french Marine" button, with the drilled shank
3) the small pin may be a "sweet heart pin, I'm not sure, but what we at forst thought said holy mary, I now know doesn't, it's latin same as on military badges, so any ideas ?
4) nice blow hole button
5) and a GEO II with readable date 1744

Big Time Fun.
And back at it tomorow.

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

First ever 1600's IDable coin

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Sweet heart pin ? IDK, ROMEO ? I know you have one, but I think bigger.

IMG_1364.JPG

3 q-tips of dirt off the pin, sitting on a quarter.

IMG_1374.JPG

Good Luck Out There.
Rick

Last edited:
Upvote 15

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the amazing finds! Still looking for my 1st French coin.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin Rick.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS David, very much, so I guess your saying the pin is french. I'll check out your link in a minute.
But again thanks very much for that info.

Haven't read all the posts, but its a British coat of Arms & that motto is commonly held in many of our Military Regiments.

Is the French drilled button 17th C?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Rick for breaking into the 1600s. That is definitely a cool coin, and one that I've never seen dug down this way. Hopefully a big early silver will show up next. HH ..... Bill

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't read all the posts, but its a British coat of Arms & that motto is commonly held in many of our Military Regiments.

Is the French drilled button 17th C?

Yes got it on the pin, the COA is near same as my avitar silver.

The french marine button is "probably" 17th C. as I understand it this type/style used until 1710 or 1713. Keep in mind I may be wrong.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Rick for breaking into the 1600s. That is definitely a cool coin, and one that I've never seen dug down this way. Hopefully a big early silver will show up next. HH ..... Bill

Thanks Bill, oh how I'd love a big silver from that time frame. Not sure when "next" chance will be, like to get at least one more dig in.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The french marine button is "probably" 17th C. as I understand it this type/style used until 1710 or 1713. Keep in mind I may be wrong.

Based on its look & construction, if I find it here I would say late 17th C. But they ones we get are not Marine buttons but Civvy.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not sure if you're wrong, but at this point I have more questions than answers. But honestly based on the questions I don't believe they are French marines.

The front has the groove on the edge, but if the website is right, it shows both variations made the same way and is different than the buttons you guys found. The Shank is also quite a bit longer, and again if the website is accurate it shows both the drilled shank and wire loop being about the same length. In addition to that early UK buttons are very familiar to me and I have seen many over the years that are very similar to what you found.... can't say an exact match, but certainly very close. On top of all that I can use my own experience because I have found a lot of these things. Only a small % have the loop intact, but for all I've found every one has been the wire type. For the over all construction they have varied slightly, but nothing close to what you guys found, so it's fairly hard to wrap my brain around digging so many of these and not a single early type? That would be like hunting an 1820s site and digging 50, 60, 70 early 1800s tokens and not a single George III. Having said all that, not only do I have a lot of doubt those two buttons are French Marines, I also have some doubt the website is accurate as I've never seen one bit of proof such a button (early drilled shank Fr. Marines) even exists. I would actually like to know the answer to this.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if you're wrong, but at this point I have more questions than answers. But honestly based on the questions I don't believe they are French marines.

The front has the groove on the edge, but if the website is right, it shows both variations made the same way and is different than the buttons you guys found. The Shank is also quite a bit longer, and again if the website is accurate it shows both the drilled shank and wire loop being about the same length. In addition to that early UK buttons are very familiar to me and I have seen many over the years that are very similar to what you found.... can't say an exact match, but certainly very close. On top of all that I can use my own experience because I have found a lot of these things. Only a small % have the loop intact, but for all I've found every one has been the wire type. For the over all construction they have varied slightly, but nothing close to what you guys found, so it's fairly hard to wrap my brain around digging so many of these and not a single early type? That would be like hunting an 1820s site and digging 50, 60, 70 early 1800s tokens and not a single George III. Having said all that, not only do I have a lot of doubt those two buttons are French Marines, I also have some doubt the website is accurate as I've never seen one bit of proof such a button (early drilled shank Fr. Marines) even exists. I would actually like to know the answer to this.

I would like to know definitively too.

I guess that is why I added "I could be wrong", as the information that I stated about the button came to me "second-handed" but the upstream source of said information I though was a good source, and I thought should have known.

Haven't seen the website to which you refer, but have to think is a slight difference in shank lenght vert important ?

As it's not what I'd call something great to look at anyway (plain janeish), if not military won't break my heart. It is only the second or third drilled shank type button I ever found, for that reason alone is a decent find...for me.

You want to post a link to that site ?

Also when you say "loop" do you mean the type that is affixed at one end only ?

I ALWAYS appreciate the correct ID. wishfull thinking don't make it so. :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know definitively too.

I guess that is why I added "I could be wrong", as the information that I stated about the button came to me "second-handed" but the upstream source of said information I though was a good source, and I thought should have known.

Haven't seen the website to which you refer, but have to think is a slight difference in shank lenght vert important ?

As it's not what I'd call something great to look at anyway (plain janeish), if not military won't break my heart. It is only the second or third drilled shank type button I ever found, for that reason alone is a decent find...for me.

You want to post a link to that site ?

Also when you say "loop" do you mean the type that is affixed at one end only ?

I ALWAYS appreciate the correct ID. wishfull thinking don't make it so. :laughing7:

Yes, I do think the length of the shank counts for a fair bit because all the wire shank ones I've found are consistent, and if the website is correct your shanks are much longer.... and as I said the face is different too.

France Page

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I do think the length of the shank counts for a fair bit because all the wire shank ones I've found are consistent, and if the website is correct you're shanks are much longer.... and as I said the face is different too.

France Page

I'd have to agree, being that it is a substancial (2X ?) difference, Steve PA did mention this (shank length) early on this thread.

So probably not military, and as CRU suggested a "civvy" . That's Still great, anything 17th C. is good to find.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Too cool.

Today's the day! ~Mel Fisher

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to agree, being that it is a substancial (2X ?) difference, Steve PA did mention this (shank length) early on this thread.

So probably not military, and as CRU suggested a "civvy" . That's Still great, anything 17th C. is good to find.

I definitely agree they are old. I'd be quite surprised finding one here, and I'm talking sites that are 1730-1750. We find pewter buttons, and some blow hole ones. but don't recall anything as early looking.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety there Rick:headbang:

1600's coin is on my wish list..

Congrats.