What's new

love scrapers, but...

Aurora1959

Jr. Member
Joined
May 29, 2019
Messages
92
Reaction score
215
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central New York State
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This recent find seemed...different...not "just" a scraper - it's bigger than the scrapers I usually find around here, and it's been chipped into a figure 8 shape. Checked the bible (The Archaeology of New York State by William Ritchie), and found reference to a "chipped, celt-like chopper".
Think that's what I found - anybody else in the Northeast find anything that fits that descrip? IMG_0194.webpIMG_0193.webpIMG_0192.webpIMG_0191.webp
 
Upvote 0
May we see the other side and the fat end? It looks unifacial. Thanks.
 
sure T-Dog...here ya go. BTW, I said "celt-like" but I meant "adze-like", in Ritchie's terms...IMG_0200.webpIMG_0198.webpIMG_0201.webp
 
It is pretty big but I believe it is a unifacial tool that most of us would lump into the scraper category. It certainly has some nice touch-up flaking on the thick end. Still, I don't think it was intended to be hafted and used as a typical adze only because it looks too thin to withstand the chopping blows when put to use. However, it would work nicely as a scraper be it hafted or only hand-held. My opinion only friend and if I examined it in person, I might change my mind. It is unique and a good find.
 
thanks for the input Tdog. I love it whatever it is called! I found it in an upturned tree's roots after what had been a flakes-and-chips kind of day.
 
I would say that is a really cool big hafted scraper as well. It looks like the hafted end has been thinned, and the sides possibly notched for hafting. I would be psyched to find that in an upturned tree fall.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom