Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two love tokens I found around Colchester England. They were given to a woman by a man like an engagement ring would have been presented. The first token was made from a late 1600s silver coin. Traditionally, the coins were rubbed down so the coins details were no longer visible and some even have the man?s initials on them, then they were bent to form a ?Z? or an ?S?. After being in a plowed farm field for years, these tokens have lost most of there ?Z? form but it is still obvious. Here?s the obverse.
normal_love1O.jpg

Reverse.
normal_love1R.jpg

Obverse of another silver coin love token. The tokens were made from copper, silver and even gold coins according to the class of the person giving the love token.
normal_love2O.jpg

Reverse.
normal_love2R.jpg

Side view of the tokens, the ?Z? form can still be seen. HH, Mike
normal_loveside.jpg

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you think they were originaly that thin Mike or did time take it's toll.Anyway thank's for sharing.Good luck and HH!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's interesting, Mike. I don't understand why they were bent. Is it so they didn't get spent by accident?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Old love tokens are very popular on ebay and some are very nicely engraved. But watch out for the fakes!

I found this 17th century thin hammered copper coin that had been cut in half. I was surprised to get both pieces. After I looked at it I saw that someone had cut it right between the two lions.

So, I posted it on ebay and the bidding was fierce. I got a very good price for it and the buyer wrote and really thanked me for offering it. He was going to keep half and give his wife the other half as a love token.

I can't help but wonder if it were that back in the 1600's ???

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There must have been a lotta love gone into that token! Look how thin! :D

That's neat! I learned something new today! Thanks!

;)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great little piece of history, WTG!!!
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Real nice history lesson and a real unique Valentines gift for someone. Sure beats a box of chocolates hands down. Thanks for sharing Bavaria Mike.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice old love tokens Mike. They may have grinded them down on something to speed up the process then rubbed them for awhile.

HH Jer

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be one of those Hoosier Daddy token's...never know

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thats a neat story, thanks Mike, nice finds. Tsgman

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love tokens are cool. I have a couple that are just engraved coins with scenery.

Michigan Badger said:
Old love tokens are very popular on ebay and some are very nicely engraved. But watch out for the fakes!

I found this 17th century thin hammered copper coin that had been cut in half. I was surprised to get both pieces. After I looked at it I saw that someone had cut it right between the two lions.

So, I posted it on ebay and the bidding was fierce. I got a very good price for it and the buyer wrote and really thanked me for offering it. He was going to keep half and give his wife the other half as a love token.

I can't help but wonder if it were that back in the 1600's? ???

Badger, Honestly. how can you fake a love token?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread