What's new

LOYAL ORDER OF MOOSE PIN!!! Wow, it’s old!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2013
Messages
9,946
Reaction score
19,958
Golden Thread
3
Location
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s been a little while since I’ve posted. I got a (great) new job, but also my knee is kinda blown out, so I haven’t beeped at all in the past month or so. I was in Uniontown, PA yesterday, and this spot that is usually grown up with grass and weeds had just been mowed. LFG!!! I mustered up the strength to hit it for about 2 hours, glad I did!
Got me a miners tag, a fancy button, and a random Rosie, :headbang:so I was happy with that. I called “last keeper” not knowing I’d find one of my all time favorite relics.

Check this out!
image.webp


This may be the oldest LOOM pin in existence, as I spent hours online looking for something this old. My first thought was of my Uncle, he’s been a member for 50 years or so. I guess he’ll try to recruit me again, ha!
I believe the date of October 25, 1913 is the 25 year anniversary of the Moose Lodge organization, or it could be significant in another way that I can’t “pin” down yet.
I’m just so thrilled to have found this pin, I can’t wait to show it off at the club meeting next week!

image.webp

image.webp


Thanks for looking!:hello:
 
Upvote 57
It’s been a little while since I’ve posted. I got a (great) new job, but also my knee is kinda blown out, so I haven’t beeped at all in the past month or so. I was in Uniontown, PA yesterday, and this spot that is usually grown up with grass and weeds had just been mowed. LFG!!! I mustered up the strength to hit it for about 2 hours, glad I did!
Got me a miners tag, a fancy button, and a random Rosie, :headbang:so I was happy with that. I called “last keeper” not knowing I’d find one of my all time favorite relics.

Check this out!
View attachment 2261443

This may be the oldest LOOM pin in existence, as I spent hours online looking for something this old. My first thought was of my Uncle, he’s been a member for 50 years or so. I guess he’ll try to recruit me again, ha!
I believe the date of October 25, 1913 is the 25 year anniversary of the Moose Lodge organization, or it could be significant in another way that I can’t “pin” down yet.
I’m just so thrilled to have found this pin, I can’t wait to show it off at the club meeting next week!

View attachment 2261444
View attachment 2261445

Thanks for looking!:hello:


Way cool. I use to belong to the Moose, good organization, but I did it more for the cheap drinks and food, happy hours...😁

It gets a banner vote from me...🏆
 
I was unable to locate anything about the event doing an on-line newspaper search. There is an announcement: "The Grand Moose Reunion in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, hosted by the local Uniontown Lodge No. 20 of the Loyal Order of Moose, took place on October 25, 1913." This was announced in the Uniontown Morning Herald newspaper. I believe one can access the Morning Herald archives through a paid subscription at one of the historic newspaper vendors. I would guess Lodge 20 would love to have the old pin on display. It would likely get you free beer for life when you visit Uniontown. A very nice historic find that relates to the community of Uniontown, PA.
 

Attachments

  • Lodge 20.webp
    Lodge 20.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Moose_Lodge_20.webp
    Moose_Lodge_20.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 26
Cool badge. The LOOM did indeed celebrate its 25 year anniversary in 1913, but it was founded in the spring of 1888, not in October.

A grand regional reunion was held in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, on 25 October 1913, under the auspices of the local Uniontown Moose lodge, and hundreds of members from the surrounding area gathered for the special event.

During this era, fraternal organizations frequently held regional and statewide ‘Grand Reunions’ or field days. These conventions served several distinct operational purposes: initiation of New Members; Civic and Fraternal Parades for publicity (but there are no local press report of a parade on that day; and fundraising.

The actual date of 25 October (a Saturday) likely has no particular significance, but probably was held as part of a wave of large regional fraternal gatherings shortly after the dedication of the national Mooseheart Child City (between Batavia and Aurora, Illinois) on 27 July that year. Regional gatherings of the LOOM in the autumn of 1913 were heavily focussed on celebrating this milestone and securing critical financial pledges from local lodges to support the expansion and running costs of this children's facility.

Thomas Marshall, then newly installed as Vice President of the United States, first balked at Supreme Governor Ralph Donges’s invitation to speak at the dedication ceremony for what he viewed as an “orphanage.” Donges responded that “what we are planning will not be an orphanage at all. It will be a home and school for the children of our deceased members.”
 
Last edited:
It’s been a little while since I’ve posted. I got a (great) new job, but also my knee is kinda blown out, so I haven’t beeped at all in the past month or so. I was in Uniontown, PA yesterday, and this spot that is usually grown up with grass and weeds had just been mowed. LFG!!! I mustered up the strength to hit it for about 2 hours, glad I did!
Got me a miners tag, a fancy button, and a random Rosie, :headbang:so I was happy with that. I called “last keeper” not knowing I’d find one of my all time favorite relics.

Check this out!
View attachment 2261443

This may be the oldest LOOM pin in existence, as I spent hours online looking for something this old. My first thought was of my Uncle, he’s been a member for 50 years or so. I guess he’ll try to recruit me again, ha!
I believe the date of October 25, 1913 is the 25 year anniversary of the Moose Lodge organization, or it could be significant in another way that I can’t “pin” down yet.
I’m just so thrilled to have found this pin, I can’t wait to show it off at the club meeting next week!

View attachment 2261444
View attachment 2261445

Thanks for looking!:hello:
Nice finds.
 
Cool badge. The LOOM did indeed celebrate its 25 year anniversary in 1913, but it was founded in the spring of 1888, not in October.

A grand regional reunion was held in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, on 25 October 1913, under the auspices of the local Uniontown Moose lodge, and hundreds of members from the surrounding area gathered for the special event.

During this era, fraternal organizations frequently held regional and statewide ‘Grand Reunions’ or field days. These conventions served several distinct operational purposes: initiation of New Members; Civic and Fraternal Parades for publicity (but there are no local press report of a parade on that day; and fundraising.

The actual date of 25 October (a Saturday) likely has no particular significance, but probably was held as was part of a wave of large regional fraternal gatherings shortly after the dedication of the national Mooseheart Child City (between Batavia and Aurora, Illinois) on 27 July that year. Regional gatherings of the LOOM in the autumn of 1913 were heavily focussed on celebrating this milestone and securing critical financial pledges from local lodges to support the expansion and running costs of this children's facility.

Thomas Marshall, then newly installed as Vice President of the United States, first balked at Supreme Governor Ralph Donges’s invitation to speak at the dedication ceremony for what he viewed as an “orphanage.” Donges responded that “what we are planning will not be an orphanage at all. It will be a home and school for the children of our deceased members.”
Awesome research Red-Coat, I knew I could count on you to find more info on this!
 
I’m not seeing it. I see a button to bookmark and a button to share next to #1.
It's not labeled as such but it's in a column of it's own to the right of the #1 and has ^ at the top which is what you click on, it now has 3 votes.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot (8).webp
    Screenshot (8).webp
    172.8 KB · Views: 30
Very cool find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom