M1917 helmet?

B105FA

Greenie
Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eyes and hands
Primary Interest:
Other
$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWfbBQykwPY-cw~~60_35.jpg $(KGrHqRHJDoFDEjZ!gRrBQykywfTew~~60_39.jpg $(KGrHqVHJDUFDHw8rU9YBQyk)zO4Nw~~60_39.jpg A friend of mine questioned whether it is British. I doubt it since it was made in Pittsburgh, Pa. by Acme Protection. I say it's some sort of construction/miners type lid. $T2eC16VHJHwE9n8iiIQhBQykyHycew~~60_39.jpg

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Here is a brief discussion about this type, which points out that the liner is different that that of the Brodie helmets:Police Marked Steel Helmet - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum
So, as you're suggesting, likely not for US military use. And as of yet I haven't seen that Acme was a supplier to Britain during WWI (as I think you know, noting that you're well versed in these from past discussions).
But the Brodies are still in use today in parts of the world, leaving a long span... I don't think I'm helping :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a Civil Defense helmet. I can not get the smaller pictures to open in order to see the liner. The Civil Defense ones have a deeper bowl than the military ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

B105FA

Greenie
Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eyes and hands
Primary Interest:
Other
The liner is similar to the aluminum parade helmets used after WW1. Sorry about the pics. I see from nhbenz that it was used by the police.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

B105FA

Greenie
Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eyes and hands
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good nhbenz. It was used for police units. Those are certainly the same with the markings and liner. Thanks for the good eye and memory.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread