Machine Finds Thread (add your own!)

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is for coins you find in, on, under, or around coin handling machines such as CoinStar, Coinmaster, auto-sorting machines in banks, payphones, and vending machines. Please add your story!)

At the supermarket again. Habitually stopped by the Coinstar machine, and stooped to pick up a dime on the floor. That's when I noticed that the reject tray was full of dimes. Visions of silver dimes filled my head! I looked around to see if someone had just walked away from the machine, but there was no sign that anyone had been using it in the last few minutes, so I scooped away.

Well, no silver, just:
20 dimes (1970-2002)
4 nickels (1984-1996)
1 Canadian dime (1982)
----------------------------
US$2.20 + CAN$0.10

The first Canadian non-penny I've seen in the wild in years. Meh, $2.20 for free... I can't complain. I hope no one else is complaining that their dimes disappeared.

EDIT: As your responses so quickly pointed out, that "10" should have been a "20". I blame the error on that bugged Canuck dime planting subliminal messages in my head.

Upvote 0
Magnet and reject tray finds, while dumping halves:

Canada, 1 cent (2007-RCM, 2008-RCM)
Canada, 10 cents (2002-P)
Canada, 25 cents (1974, 1977 x2, 1981, 1994, 2005-P, 2007-RCM)
Brazil, 10 centavos (2007)
Turkey, 50 bin lira (1999)

On most machines the magnet is located at the chute you are dumping the coins into. Just feel inside around the sides before you start the machine.
HH
Gilbert

A Silver Dime 195X. I do not remember the exact date but I did not know anything about coins back then and I spend it at face value.

DW

Leaving the grocery store I saw a woman emptying a bunch of coins into the green machine, so I put my stuff in the car to buy some time, then came back. It paid off. She was done and walked away leaving:

1 zincoln

Jamaica, 1 dollar, 2005 (the smallest dollar coin I've ever seen, it's the size of a US cent)

1 slot token (never seen this type, one more for the collection!)

We have a Coinstar machine in the store where I work at I find all kinds of odd coins in the little tray at the bottom(the reject tray).I often fine old US coin from the 1900's-1940's that don't actually still look a real coin,also lots of mexican coins and coins from Europe and yes I do keep'em.

Snagged 2 more pennies (Zincolns) from the CoinStar today.

-Codes

checked a green machine last night...no luck

Oh well thats just my first try...now how to not draw attention to myself when I do it.

magnet finds while dumping rejects:

Canada, 10 cents (1975, 2008-RCM)
Canada, 25 cents (1974, 1979, 1988)
Belgium, 2 eurocents (2004)
Czech Republic, 2 korun (2004)
France, 2 eurocents (1999 x2)
France, 5 eurocents (2001, 2002, 2003)
Germany, 5 eurocents (2002-G)
Ghana, 50 pesewas (2007)
Ireland, 5 eurocents (2002)
Spain, 5 eurocents (1999)

dime and a zinc cent just sitting there on the dump tray --easy money

Tonight while checking out at the grocery store I noticed that they moved the green machine on the left side of the exit. It used to be at a corner that you have to walk up to it. It would look funny without a bag of coins. So I told myself that I'd better take a peek when I was walking out. I always hope to find a steel cent because I never be able find one from the box. When I got there I did notice a coin in the reject tray. I picked it up and look at it briefly. My heart almost skipped a beat. It is a seated dime! This one has enough details that it goes into my US type album.

P9131540.JPG

P9131542.JPG

I definitely will check the tray every time when I buy grocery from now on.

good grief !!! what a find -- all silver "rejects" in those machines

I saw a double handful of coins in the machine! Totaled $7.15, 1950 Wheaty, and $0.60 Canadian

HH
-GC

Found a "homeless stash" today. My usual quick look at the green machine looked uneventful, just a couple of abandoned bags on the ledge. I moved them and found a pile of badly corroded zincolns beneath. I quickly gathered them up.

Looking thru them yielded some interesting finds:

107 ugly, gray zincolns that will probably end up in the garbage. Some weighed as little as 1.3 grams, almost half what they should. One actually broke in half!

1 copper cent (1971), the oldest but he held up just fine.

Canada 1¢ - 2007 RCM (x3), 2008 RCM and one dateless

Canada 5¢ - 2008 RCM

Great Britain, one penny, 1984

Philippines, 1 piso, 2003

Thailand, 25 satang, 2008

A couple years ago, I saw the coin reject bin FULL of coins. Most of them were forign, but I think some were US. Also, once I found 3 silver Roosies (2) 1962, (1) 1964.

Some foreign coins, euros, canadian and mexican. us error penny and a steel penny. quite a few wheaties..

motherlode !!!

5.00 in canadain quarters
3.30 in canadain dimes -- one 50% 1968 silver
.45 in canadian nickles including a 1922 and a 1941 one
8 canadian pennies

total -- $8.83 can

4 --1943 steel /zinc war cent (us)
a st christopher medal --sterling
a 925 marked earring with crystal stone inset

a batch of other foreign coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread