Machine Finds Thread (add your own!)

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is for coins you find in, on, under, or around coin handling machines such as CoinStar, Coinmaster, auto-sorting machines in banks, payphones, and vending machines. Please add your story!)

At the supermarket again. Habitually stopped by the Coinstar machine, and stooped to pick up a dime on the floor. That's when I noticed that the reject tray was full of dimes. Visions of silver dimes filled my head! I looked around to see if someone had just walked away from the machine, but there was no sign that anyone had been using it in the last few minutes, so I scooped away.

Well, no silver, just:
20 dimes (1970-2002)
4 nickels (1984-1996)
1 Canadian dime (1982)
----------------------------
US$2.20 + CAN$0.10

The first Canadian non-penny I've seen in the wild in years. Meh, $2.20 for free... I can't complain. I hope no one else is complaining that their dimes disappeared.

EDIT: As your responses so quickly pointed out, that "10" should have been a "20". I blame the error on that bugged Canuck dime planting subliminal messages in my head.

Upvote 0

rickomatic

Greenie
May 14, 2010
Snohomish WA
Detector(s) used
some el cheapo right now
Went in to Safeway for a quick snack and happened to walk past a MasterCoin machine on the way out. The reject tray was full! Holy cow, I'm new at this and this completely took me by surprise. I looked around then started scooping into my pocket. When I got out to the car I counted out $5.84, including one canadian dime, one 1P Irish, and 2 wheaties, a '44 & a '28.
I felt like a theif.......... :laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its free money --no thiefing to it * first come , first served -- now see the lovely jewelry (earrings mostly but a thin chain now and then) that fell thru into the dump bin area -- i get that too. :wink: :icon_thumright:-- plus i'm so bold i ask the store folks who have to clean the magnets that are inside the machine ( it helps to keep junk out of the machines coin sorting "guts" to "save" any foreign coins for me -- candain coins always stick being made of steel these days * and the coins are on "par" with us money --i save em up till i get say 50 bucks worth then mail them to a candain coin store --i go online and price silver us coins and then mail the candain coins up as "payment and return postage cost" so the coins only cost me "upbound" postage --which i pay for from scrap cans i turn in --so basically --free silver coins

theres the "hustlers" and the rest of the world .--- a thief is no good --but a hustler is differant

Iheartmoney

Apr 4, 2010
My best find ever was a 1964 Washington quarter which I found when I heard the sound of silver drop from the soda machine. I automatically offered to give the lady $1.00 for it although she insisted I would only have to give her $.25 (That's a fair deal. Lol.)

I also found a Mercury dime in the Coinstar machine once and 2 other silver dimes on two separate occasions :hello2:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a credit union in a nearby town , about to dump some coin into a customer accessible
counter in the lobby . I looked down in the hopper prior to dumping , and saw a Morgan dollar
tails side up - staring at me - by far the best day I've had related to machine finds . Argentium.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
Argentium said:
I was at a credit union in a nearby town , about to dump some coin into a customer accessible
counter in the lobby . I looked down in the hopper prior to dumping , and saw a Morgan dollar
tails side up - staring at me - by far the best day I've had related to machine finds . Argentium.

lucky sob, I want a morgan badly but refuse to buy :'(

only have found regular beat up cents. last time teller just emptied the bin in and got like 2 bucks. a nickel another time. and 42 cents another time. most part find nothing...

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found on TD's coinbot while dumping halves:

Bahamas, 25 cents (1979)
Bermuda, 10 cents (1996)
Canada, 10 cents (1974, 1984, 1990, 2001)
Canada, 25 cents (1993, 2006-P, 2007-RCM)
Finland, 10 pennia (1991)
France, 5 eurocents (1999)
Italy, 5 eurocents (2002)
Venezuela, 50 bolivares (2002)
two buttons
one CR-2016 3V watch battery

The last coin is really strange, possibly the only counterfeit coin I've ever found. It has the size and design of a 1982-D Washington quarter, with a smooth edge. The detail of the design is very low, and the letters are fatter than usual. It appears as if somebody plated a worm-out quarter in chrome. It's not marked as a copy, replica, or play money.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I find so many coins when i do my TD runs I couldnt keep track. Yesterday i went to 3 TD banks where i have access to the tube and got 4 silver dimes , 20-25 american currency [after reporting the bag was blocking the tray] various foreign and game tokens. All i was dumping was a small jar of nickels mixed with pennies. Was able to do the magnet sweep for a bunch of canadian also.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Been a while since I got any silver from the coin counter.
Today I found a sterling St.Christopher medal along with some Mexican pesos,French centimes,and Belgian francs.
HH
Rich

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
Found a '68 Canadian Quarter in the counter yesterday, held on to it for a few minutes - wondering - "is this one of those 50% silver ones, or was that 1966, or 1967?" Since I didn't know for sure, I tossed it in to be re-counted and the machine took it.

Looked it up when I got back to a PC and found out it could have been either 50% silver or 99.9% nickel...so I don't know if I was 50% dumb or 50% smart....

1968–1999 5.05 g 23.88 mm 99.9% nickel
1968 5.05 g 23.88 mm 50% silver, 50% copper

WHEN IN DOUBT, KEEP IT OUT!!!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a silver rosie a couple weeks ago and today found my first Iron Penny,43s. It's half rusty on the reverse.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Got 42 cents out of a coinstar at the grocery store today. A quarter a nickle a dime and two 2010 pennies. No silver.

Mojo

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the CoinMaster tonight, 39 US coins from 1967-2010 totaling $1.41. Most interesting amongst them is a corroded LP-3 cent.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Got two clad halves,a 1968 half, and an assortment of coins from France,Mexico,and the Dominican Republic.
I left the foreign coins at the coin counter.
HH
Rich

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down at the CoinStar:

3 quarters, 3 dimes, 18 cents, one plastic play cent, and a 1972 Swiss half franc.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found about a 6 to 8 inch part of a gold necklace this weekend in the coin machine. Looks to be pretty good karat as it is nice and shiny. Hey any gold is good gold....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread