Made a stop the other day and look what i found!!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I stopped by this antique shop and it was closed, but i saw this guy walking around it so i asked him if he owned it, he told me no but the lady inside does and if i knock on the door she might let me look around. So I proceeded to the door and knocked i saw her walk out from the back and she answered. I told her that the gentleman right there said that you might allow me to look around, she said yes come on in. I was looking around when i came across a late 1800 early 1900's Impressionist painting from Hermann Gall. I asked her how much it was she said $55. So after looking at it I could clearly see that it needed to be restored but since it was a beautiful piece of Impressionistic work I had to have it. I asked her if she would take $40 for it and it became mine. Now looking this over I looked at the canvas frame and noticed on the corners hand made shims with chiseled out corners. Then I am looking around the internet when i came across a famous artists work Moran was his name and his works go for millions. Well anyway the frame he used was exactly the frame for this painting, and his works took place in teh late 1800's. This painting is titled La Sage en Evolena Pigne d A'rolla, which translates to The Sage and Evolena respectively??, an Pigne d A'rolla is a Swiss Alp.

This painting is a really nice example of artwork done by someone who had to have been trained by the Barbizon school or someone who is was passionate of impressionism. I know this much but i need my peers to help me out a little more. I have found pictures that have been done by this guy but i have not found his name listed and that is ok but I would like to know something more about it if someone know's........Thank you all for any future efforts on helping me find out any information

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,114
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,104
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,115
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,109
Upvote 0

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice painting, I don't know squat about art but have always been told that If "you" like it, collect what "you" like. I agree the colors and scene are awesome. I hope you enjoy it and that some day it will be worth a lot of money.

HH
fccdfed

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Send your photos to Sotheby's or Christie's auction houses. they are the ones who sell all those million dollar paintings. If they think it may be real they will send someone to you to examine it. Folks who are asking for favors shouldn't insult the folks who might provide it. Lots of folks are at work right now and work during the week. You may not get any other responses until tonight or this weekend. I've already finished my work week. good luck, siegfried schlagrule

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
art is a very specialized feild -- condition and proper repairs if needed are vital to its worth -- you could have a real winner there --its been known to happen.

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
Send your photos to Sotheby's or Christie's auction houses. they are the ones who sell all those million dollar paintings. If they think it may be real they will send someone to you to examine it. Folks who are asking for favors shouldn't insult the folks who might provide it. Lots of folks are at work right now and work during the week. You may not get any other responses until tonight or this weekend. I've already finished my work week. good luck, siegfried schlagrule

No insults were ever given. If you mean the Guru comment, well that is not an insult, there are plenty of knowledgable people on this site and that is a term used for the people who would consider themselves experts in their respective collecting field.....Have a great day and thanks for the information.........

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get-the-point said:
Siegfried Schlagrule said:

No insults were ever given. If you mean the Guru comment, well that is not an insult, there are plenty of knowledgable people on this site and that is a term used for the people who would consider themselves experts in their respective collecting field.....Have a great day and thanks for the information.........

I'm far from an expert, but I would say you have posted in the wrong forum if you want it IDed. The 'What Is It' is a better place for this. Best finds, it might be, but those who ID stuff don't hang out here! Plus if you want help, improve your impatience manner!

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stryker-one said:
How lucky

Stryker

I don't know how lucky i am as I do not know what it is worth??!! I know that it is early and that it resembles Impressionism. I could be wrong, but as i said Thomas Moran used the same types of canvas frames and his works took place in the late 1800's early 1900's so i'm putting a time frame on it due to the same frame. Now it was done by Hermann Gall and after reviewing his name I've come up with a possible match. Hermann Gall name comes up on the Was Eimnal War list which is a list of collectors whose artworks were plundered by the Nazi's. It does not refer to him as a painter only as a collector. I am wondering if it is the same one and he himself was a avid artist.......As previously stated any help would be appreciated.....Thanks again all

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
We had an oriental painting I was having problems IDing, I emailed a pic to a local musuem and someone there figured it out pretty quick. You may want to try that route, the musuem people love seeing paintings, its why they got into the museum biz....

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for my ignorance but ...... who was Hermann Gall? ???
I researched on Google and not found any information ... but there are 28,100,000 pages with Picasso. :dontknow:
Although it is a beautiful picture to hang in the room. :thumbsup:
Greetings !

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
I researched on Google and not found any information ... but there are 28,100,000 pages with Picasso. :dontknow:
Greetings !

Just another artist..............lol........... :dontknow:It was for me and I liked it so that doesn't matter. It is a fine painting worthy of restoration and that is the only thing that matters............................GTP

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get-the-point said:
HISPAN said:
Greetings !

Just another artist..............lol........... :dontknow:It was for me and I liked it so that doesn't matter. It is a fine painting worthy of restoration and that is the only thing that matters............................GTP

yes if the most important thing is that the picture is nice !.... but I thought that this painter was famous in USA and I did not know him.
Greetings! :hello:

muncle

Greenie
Nov 8, 2005
First of all, the painting isn't framed. It is a canvas on "stretcher bars", a common way of mounting canvas so that it is flat and can be painted on. The wedges in the corners allow the canvas to be stretched tightly. A frame, a separate decorative construction possibly carved and gilded, would go around the stretched canvas and hide the unfinished edges of the painting.

As far as the artist, if there is no listing of his name in reference books: Davenport's for example, he probably wasn't very well know or important. Or as far as that goes, collectible.

None of this means, as others have stated, that if you like it you shouldn't enjoy it. If you keep it, you might consider getting it framed to really show it off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions