• CIMG0072.jpg
    CIMG0072.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 2,027

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good so far. Have you run water through the pump yet? How's she sucking?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way Cool! :thumbsup: I like it

GG~

Hillbillybjopkr1

Apr 2, 2012
Montague. Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold King double sluce with 3"-4" setup's. homemade frame and pontoons
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. The floats are quite similar to what I have...mine are 10" PVC....but i'm likin your idea of a bunch of smaller pipe.

OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok took it out to a local creek to see how it floats.I am happy with the results now to take to where there is GOLD. CIMG0074.jpg

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to see it in action, I will be passing by a Keene dealer on my way to OK and I'm going to stop in and check out the set up they have to float my 3" hi banker so when I get to OK where welder is, I had the exact same idea you did ... lol.... Did u and Jason get my PM? you guys can call and I will keep you posted as to my trip plans.
I should be in OK until June once I get there, IF I ever get there :dontknow: ....LOL, I will have my new Gold Hog matting by then also and I'm going to test it out on my way to OK at Thermal City NC!! I can't wait, if we can ever get on the same river we are going to have a blast, the "GOLD" is just a by product of the fun!!!

God Bless

OKIE

OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't wait to see it in action, I will be passing by a Keene dealer on my way to OK and I'm going to stop in and check out the set up they have to float my 3" hi banker so when I get to OK where welder is, I had the exact same idea you did ... lol.... Did u and Jason get my PM? you guys can call and I will keep you posted as to my trip plans.
I should be in OK until June once I get there, IF I ever get there :dontknow: ....LOL, I will have my new Gold Hog matting by then also and I'm going to test it out on my way to OK at Thermal City NC!! I can't wait, if we can ever get on the same river we are going to have a blast, the "GOLD" is just a by product of the fun!!!

God Bless

OKIE

Got the PM I will send you my number I have Time scheduled off in July and August to do a long trip to K River.
Take Care
OBP

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, I can't wait to here your thoughts on the goldhog mat!

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will defiantly keep you posted on the GH matting Jason. It is only about $136.00 plus shipping for 3 pieces ob UR matting and 2 pieces of the scrubber matting. Thats so I have extra in case I mess up the the cutting of the matting for the install....LOL
Hope to see y'all soon.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great way to do it. You kept it simple, strongly constructed, but no coffee cup holder(design flaw or oversight). I had built a dredge based on a kayak with an outrigger, but the wind over the lakes in NC created an unstable vessel for the rig. Yours appears to have enough beam to keep stable, even if a 15 mph wind is present. Perhaps it's the angle of the shot, but, the dredge appears to be riding a tad bit low in the water.

Maybe you could guestimate the engine/pump weight + the sluice + platform metal. That would be very helpful for me to design one of my own based on this design idea. Weights will aid me in calculating the necessary displacement requirements.

Sourced the parts:
1. 4 inch X 10 ft. sewer/low pressure/no pressure pipe @ about $8.06/10ft. piece at Lowe's or Home Depot
2. 4 inch end sewer pipe end cap @ about $2.43 each at Lowe's (item 24132). Home Depot doesn't stock the part, only a $7.71 HD cap.
3. 3ft. X 6ft. aluminium hand rail assembly, really light weight, @ $40.00

Veterans - Show your VA card or military ID at either store, and you'll get a 10% discount every day at either of these big boxes. I do, and the savings add up fast.

Best regards

Last edited:
OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great way to do it. You kept it simple, strongly constructed, but no coffee cup holder(design flaw or oversight). I had built a dredge based on a kayak with an outrigger, but the wind over the lakes in NC created an unstable vessel for the rig. Yours appears to have enough beam to keep stable, even if a 15 mph wind is present. Perhaps it's the angle of the shot, but, the dredge appears to be riding a tad bit low in the water.

Maybe you could guestimate the engine/pump weight + the sluice + platform metal. That would be very helpful for me to design one of my own based on this design idea. Weights will aid me in calculating the necessary displacement requirements.

Sourced the parts:
1. 4 inch X 10 ft. sewer/low pressure/no pressure pipe @ about $8.06/10ft. piece at Lowe's or Home Depot
2. 4 inch end sewer pipe end cap @ about $2.43 each at Lowe's (item 24132). Home Depot doesn't stock the part, only a $7.71 HD cap.
3. 3ft. X 6ft. aluminium hand rail assembly, really light weight, @ $40.00

Veterans - Show your VA card or military ID at either store, and you'll get a 10% discount every day at either of these big boxes. I do, and the savings add up fast.

Best regards
The frame is 1 inch square tubing along with 1/2 inch in the middle it is 32" wide and 56" long weight is 5lbs +/-
my pump is about 22lbs
highbanker/dredge box about 16lbs
I can move both in either direction to balance.When I took the pic it was running and had gravel in the box and set dead flat.The water was only up 1" on the top pontoon I dont dredge swift water so it will work for me.The motor sits 6 inches above waterline.I can go from dredge to highbanker in less than 1.5 minutes.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First of all, thanks for the idea! I've sort of modified the original concept to meet the needs of a somewhat larger dredge/highbanker. The floatation/bouyancy that I've implimented is roughly double that you used. The floats are held together w/threaded steel rods and high strength channel steel. To keep the parts and/or floats from shifting due to impact or vibration, the space between each cylinder will be filled with high expansion eurethane foam. The foam acts as an adhesive and will lock the entire group of cylinders together as a unit, as well as providing a minor amount of additional bouyancy.

The weight is not too bad -
1. Aluminium frame for the engine/pump and sluice - 7lbs.
2. Floats and metal assembly - 55 pounds.
3. Classifier unit- 12 lbs.
4. Angus MacKirk Eureka sluice - 5 lbs.
5. Jet log - 8 lbs.
6. Hose - 8 lbs.
7. 15hp engine - 68 lbs.
8. Jet pump unit - 15 lbs.
===================
Total dredge wgt. 168 lbs.

Here's the float part of the project.

Underside of the floats.

View attachment 625713

Floats ready for the platform
View attachment 625714

2 1/2 X 6 ft. aluminium platform.
View attachment 625715

I'll update with more photos next week, when the engine, pump and sluice is attached, floating and running.

Best regards

OP
OP
okbasspro

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like that frame where did you buy it. The rest looks good I used metel strapping to hold my floats.I do not go into swift water though.I am trying to find a way to put a taper on the upstream side of my floats to help water to go around.Long Live Redneck Enginering.:hello2:

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I purchased the aluminium frame from Lowe's Home Improvement. It is a 3 ft. X 6 ft. "Chatham" hand rail assembly. The box says 3 X 6, but is actually 28" X 70". Not cheap at about $40 bucks or so, but the weight savings and zero maintenance factor is well worth the money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread