NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But,,, was not allowed to photograph any of it
took a little trip to do some cold water hunting - winds are way too high - white caps everywhere I
checked and tide never really went out. Sooo...plans A B C D...were all out the window. Came across a teeny tiny beach on a side street - most would never even give it a second glance and heard locals don't even go there to hunt. Reason why it drew me was down the street there were tons of houses on the water north and south from here with plaques from 1700s and 1800s - so figured heck maybe I could get some old relics.
I got in and got some old clad and bunch of sinkers - I got a few large blasts and passed them up - eventually I ID'ed a
large target and it read as a great tone and thought I might have a brash relic...Not. Stuck my scoop in and as I pried it up - was shocked at what I saw on top of my scoop...a large capacity magazine for an automatic or semi auto rifle. I tried to get attention of my GF and was waving it back and forth - she was
talking with friend and was paying me no mind. Clip was empty and I just dropped it in my pouch. Walked 3 feet and got another blast and it sounded identical to the last - scooped again and once again had a clip sticking out of my scoop. Once again - empty.
Already Im wondering - might I have to report to police? I pressed on and next started finding loaded ammo - what looked like .223. Now Im definitely saying I have to contact police. Then I found some pistol ammo so yelled to my GF to try and notify
an old friend I knew lived down the street and ask them if they knew a local cop cause it was not something to call 911
for. She did and they came to the spot while I continued hunting. I found more ammo and another clip and also found an
expensive cell phone amongst the gun items. Police came down and I unloaded my haul. They were surprised. I told them there was more out there - many of the bullets were falling thru my scoop and I had to drop down to retrieve them which slowed me down. They put gloves on (I already had gloves on) and started to pack items up - I asked could I get some pics to show what I'd found and they said no. Walked me up to my vehicle and then took all my info down. Told them I'd be in town another day if they needed more info or wanted me to help search for more - guns might be in there out deeper (I have tanks with me). They asked if I was planning to go back tomorrow and told them - did not plan on it. They have my detecting card if they need me.

Upvote 19

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow gotta wonder what else is in there. Ill tell ya after all the years of detecting and reading about finds not much surprises me. I think thats what I love about this hobby alot of the fun is what you might find.. Great post my friend let us know if they ask for your help and what else you find if it rolls like that. Tommy

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet you that cell phone will tell a story in itself.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Hope to hear a follow up on what they might figure out.

Detecting Card=Detective Card, you have a new part time job.:thumbsup:

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what is out there waiting to be discovered.
Casper you made the right call, informing law enforcement. Could be related to a open case. In that case it is better for law enforcement to recover the rest of the items. it has more credibility on the stand at trial if the recovering officer trained in recovery can testify, with the help, from information received by a citizen we recovered evidence of the crime that was attempted to be destroyed or hidden.
Not hard to figure out what I do for a living now I guess, lol
Sometimes being a investigator pays off, metal detecting for older locations, isn't that what most of us are anyway, investigators searching for clues. looking where others don't even think of. saying is called hidden in plain view.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what is out there waiting to be discovered.
Casper you made the right call, informing law enforcement. Could be related to a open case. In that case it is better for law enforcement to recover the rest of the items. it has more credibility on the stand at trial if the recovering officer trained in recovery can testify, with the help, from information received by a citizen we recovered evidence of the crime that was attempted to be destroyed or hidden.
Not hard to figure out what I do for a living now I guess, lol
Sometimes being a investigator pays off, metal detecting for older locations, isn't that what most of us are anyway, investigators searching for clues. looking where others don't even think of. saying is called hidden in plain view.

They took finds and my info - went back to room - showered - got changed for going out to dinner - right before sun set while on my way
to dinner - receive phone call - can you report back to beach and bring your gear. My Gf tells them we are heading to dinner but the beach is just a mile away so we stop by. They got a diver waiting - they want me to go out with him and they want me to lend him my equipment. Dealer friend I had talked with minutes earlier said police does not want to buy equipment from her in past and has borrowed machines from her in past - said she had
hard time getting machines back in the past - in fact police gave them to fire dept and she thinks they were using them for recreational purposes.
Im not even from around here - I live 2+ hrs away and as I write this Im packing to check out But they said yesterday that they see me today
at low tide. There are locals they could reach out to that have water machines and dive. I have my snuba system with me but don't want to take out here - its in a popular boat access area - I had 2 almost get me yesterday - they went inside the swim buoys but since season is
over and waters are cold guess they don't think they have to watch out for anyone or obey the rules. So they expect me there in about 2 hrs - I will have no place to put dry clothes on afterward - no place to shower and warm up - water is cold - I do have proper suits to keep me warm enough for a few hrs but afterwards
:dontknow: then I have to go home - 2 1/2 hr drive If I don't hit traffic and then I have to go to work tonight. didn't mind doing the right thing
but didn't think Id be walking into this and who knows what will happen if I find lot more or weapons. Police in my area have dive teams and machines
I am listed with a handful of depts. around me.
They are not interested in getting any machines of their own here and diver that was there yesterday
just became their one and only one right now about a week ago -he has never used a machine- yet they want me to let him use one of mine.
He breaks or loses it in deep water - I do not believe they will replace. -
So heading out now to do the -"right thing" again
will report if anything special is found - again

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not let them use it but would help them locate stuff you would be the best for the job anyway. Keep us posted my friend

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
police asked me if I would go out again today but officer could not get permission today to head out with me - I went out for a little while and got another handful of ammo
he called my gf to see if I had anything - she told him I had some and he stopped by to pick up - this time I got pic before they showed
single is 9mm - others 223 - same stuff AR-15 shoots
thumbnail_Part0.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've volunteered my time hunting evidence for different agencies too, but, damn if I'd let them borrow my gear. Even if they broke something and were responsible enough to replace it or buy a new one, that could take months or longer to get a government agency to actually do it. If they wanted me to do the searching, it would be on MY schedule, not theirs.....or they can do it themselves with their own gear and personnel. Do they really think someone would take off work and do it for free just to save THEM time and money?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread