What's new

Magician coins - how to open

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
2,074
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a magician coin today and I am trying to figure out the easiest way to get this sucker open without damaging it. Any one know?
 
Upvote 0
The best way is to put it into a mason jar and shake. Let us know what is inside.

HH,
65GT350
 
I hear that some people get a spoon and gently tap the edges until it opens up. Be sure to let us know what's inside.
 
If it's one of the spy coins (half dollar or quarter) they come with a unlocking ring.

You basically press it through a couple rings to unlock it.

You can see a pic of it by entering spy coin into google.

I found a guy on a coin forum that said he opened one by shaking it between two pans here:

http://www.cointalk.com/t87670-2/
 
The mason jar is the easiest option that I've found. Just be careful, as once I had a stubborn one and it broke the glass.
 
a guy found one about a year ago and posted about it. if i remember right he said he put it in the freezer for a while and took it out. as the coin begin to warm up he kept working with it and it opened. guess it would be worth a try
 
Thanks for the input guys.

Got it open last night after repeatedly tossing it on a granite countertop. It seemingly poped open fairly easy after a few good wacks. Once I got it open there was appeares to be a Mexican Centavo. Cool coin, wish there had been some silver in these bags too...

I only found because I was rim searching and then dropping them into my dump bag from a few feet. Gave a nice dull thud and I knew immediately it was hollow.
 
I was going to suggest the same thing. I take mine and slam them down onto the countertop. It pops open, and amazingly NEVER seems to damage them.

I've found too. As in "too" many of these worthless things. You can't cash tehm back in, and after you get a few the novelty wears off and you just hate that you lost $0.50.
 
As and avid coin roll hunter and a professional magician, you should know that some of those "Magic Coins" can be worth $20 or $30 dollars when bought new at a magic shop. I would think any magic shop would buy it off you for some cash, maybe not much but it would be better than spending it.

Gordon

PS my web site is GordonRuss.com

http://gordonthemagician.com/
 
Wow! I had no idea such a coin even existed. Very cool. I wonder how many of these get passed over each week without anyone even knowing it?

What would be really cool is if you had one that was also double headed.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom