What's new

magnet hunting

lonesomebob

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
927
Reaction score
35
Golden Thread
0
Location
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Has anyone used the 250lb pound pull from harbor freight? any good stories or fun advice? just got one but not out yet. B
 
I used mine to get some metal out of a old cement water thingy once was about 4 feet deep had to climb down in the first time anyhow because I did the knot wrong and it came off LOL I got it so I wouldn't have to go down in there in the first place because I was worried about snakes. I got in and out like a jack in the box head lol Once I got the knot tied right it worked pretty good. Haven't needed it since and it is somewhere in the back of my truck been thinking of trying this magnet fishing in the water around here just haven't yet. Good luck though
 
how much does it cost at harbor freight? I'd like to check out an old fishing hole to see if I can find discarded interesting goodies...too bad magnets can't pickup silver and gold- kind of makes it less profitable...
 
a 250 lb magnet goes for around $15.00 at harbor freight find a 20% off coupon and it would be even cheaper.
 
please explain this to me, i have never heard of magnet fishing?
 
Magnet fishing is tying a magnet to a long rope and chucking it into the water. you never know what will turn up. The best spots are really around bridges IMO, since that's where most things get tossed from. There's a great spot here where the police used to dump confiscated guns off a bridge and I'd really like to give it a shot there soon.
 
Did this with a friend years ago,we tied it to some climbing rope and thru it in the lake and found about 4 tackle boxes,1 even had a cellphone in it,we also found a couple 100 yards of fence post pipe,but we were young & dumb and left 'em on the shore. :BangHead:
 
so it's basically like dragging a river? i have wanted to do that too, i am going to have much fun here i can tell.

so what would be a good magnet/ rope to get, i do know of a couple good spots for that,

thanks in advance
 
Very neat, I checked and in Tulsa they have one for $13
 
Hey!

Put on some waders and spend a few hours in a new relaxing hobby :thumbsup:

Beats dumpster diving and is much cleaner.
 
We did this some years ago when my kids were young. The boy came home with a story about some kids bikes being thrown in the local park pond. I purchased a 250 lb magnet at Harbor Freight and a long rope and we went out to the park. The first throw produced a kids bike, the second throw produced another, the third produced one that had been there a long time.

The first two belong to two kids who's father ran a local Pharmacy, we cleaned them up the best we could and called the pharmacy and they picked them up that evening. That old black gumbo from the bottom of that pond sure did stink, I hope they were able make them usable again.

A couple years latter the local police asked me to see if I could help salvage some guns that were stolen and thrown off a bridge at a local lake, we managed to reach a couple of them, but the other were to deep for my ropes. The fire departments diving team was called in to recover the rest.

They work pretty good as long as it is steel and the rope is long enough and you are strong enough to drag it out.

Rick :coffee2:
 
There's an old ferry crossing near me I'd like to try this at.
 
I lost my kayak anchor because of a lousy knot (somebody tied) but remembered that I had one of those magnets in my truck. Tying a SECURE knot on it, I found the anchor in short order.
 
mine, got my crabpot up then one of my strings came untied. worked great first try! :icon_sunny:
 
I got my magnet at harbor freight. Used it a few times.
Got a nice 20 speed mongoose bike from a bridge. My son rides it now.
Last time out I saw a large box shaped object. The magnet stuck to it but was not strong enough to lift it. I think it was a washer or refrigerator.
 
If you loose the magnet just fish it up with a lump of steel. Had to do this when friend let go of rope! Nuggy
 
You should mount an ATV winch in the bed of your truck, or try and use a Hi Lift jack as a come-a-long. It would pull a lot easier than just your arms. But then again, a $99. winch kinda destroys the "thrifty" factor, if that's what you were after...

It sounds like fun! I remember as a kid at the local lake, seeing a paid paper box in the bottom of a little cove. It was too deep to get it, but I remember thinking about all that bubble gum money still in there!
 
Been doing this for years now...I live in B.C., and fortunately, our coins are magnetic... so our dimes, nickels, quarters, dollar and two dollar coins are attracted to the magnet.

On my best day, I pulled out over $225.00 in coins using a magnet
 
I just sent my wife to Harbor Freight to purchase me one. Yesterday I found an old well, I plan on trying it out this Saturday.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3564.webp
    IMG_3564.webp
    64 KB · Views: 886
  • magnet.webp
    magnet.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 880
  • IMG_3564.webp
    IMG_3564.webp
    64 KB · Views: 862
I plan on hitting an old river ferry crossing here in SW Virginia using a magnet. Hope I don't flip my canoe if it gets stuck on something big!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom