What's new

magnet hunting

OutBack Duo said:
I just sent my wife to Harbor Freight to purchase me one. Yesterday I found an old well, I plan on trying it out this Saturday.

Interesting looking old well, check it out with a metal detector as well. Those old stones can hide some old goodies. Rick :coffee2:
 
@Newsman, Tie a small, foam crab pot buoy on to the other end of it. That way if you have to leave the magnet in the water and come back for it later, you can find the end of it again!
 
I need to try this some time soon lots of old ferry crossing around here not far from the house some were used in the civil war or might just find a tackle box or two they are good fishing holes.
 
A few hints.

Get a dollar store tupperware type container that it'll fit in. cut a hole in the top for the bolt to fit through. This saves you a pile of time if you live in an area that has a lot of iron or black sands. Just pop the container off & you've got a clean magnet!

You can take a piece of 1" angle bar and a piece of chain to mount several magnets. side by side.

If you're hunting meteorites you can remove the chain mount it on a frame like the old hand plows to search a large area quickly.

Carry extra rope with you. if you get it stuck, you can move to a different angle to work it loose.

Years back when large magnets were hard to find we used big grapnels either bought from the tackle shop or made from 3/4" rebar.

For you guys on the ocean (Calif) work the piers! Go late when no ones fishing. You should be able to pay for your rig just in tackle & lead. Rods & reels are gravy!
 
airborne1092 said:
@Newsman, Tie a small, foam crab pot buoy on to the other end of it. That way if you have to leave the magnet in the water and come back for it later, you can find the end of it again!

Good idea. Worried about getting it stuck and then having the current capsize me! Add another tackle box to the mix!
 
Another use.
If you hunt the beaches, take your magnet with you to clean out the areas around the fire rings (if any) of all the nails etc from people burning pallets etc. After you've preped the area you'll be amazed how much stuff there is dropped by people around the fire rings you find once all the iron junk is gone. Keep a bucket handy to dump the trash in. My experiences have been real positive with the lifeguards & cops after you show then how many hazardous objects you've removed. Positive relations with the lifeguards is a plus. I've gotten a lot of good scoop from them, since they are the ones that get the hysterical women who lost their ring etc etc.
 
I have been thinking of doing some of this. I have a do nut shaped magnet off of a speaker, probably weighs about 5 pounds. I didn't realise I could get a big magnet like the one shown for so cheap!
 
bartholomewroberts said:
Been doing this for years now...I live in B.C., and fortunately, our coins are magnetic... so our dimes, nickels, quarters, dollar and two dollar coins are attracted to the magnet.

On my best day, I pulled out over $225.00 in coins using a magnet
you pulled them out of where?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom