relichound

Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was digging up in Synder County (Middleburg PA) yesterday digging on my aunt's farm (house dates from 1834). My 2 buddies and I were hoping to dig some colonial relics, but after about 4-5 hours of nothing but 1 tombac button that my one friend, we had really nothing to show for. We decided to search the front yard of my aunt's house and 2 inches down if that I dig what appeared to be a 2-3 piece dome button. After wiping some dirt away it appeared through internet search I had dug a Maine Staff Officer Coat civil war button.
from
The back is gone but the front is in excellent condition retaining almost 100% full gilt, state buttons just don't come out of the ground looking this good. The big question what was the button doing in her front yard? It turns out the main road that runs parallel to her farm was in existance was before the civil war. Could this civil war solider lost in traversing from Maine the main thoroughfare enroute to the enfamous Battle of Gettysburg? Or did he loose it on his way back home to Mlaine from Gettysburg? These are the questions that we as relic hunters love doing trying to tell the relic story, one recovery at a time.

Wayne

Attachments

• Maine Staff officer Civil War Coat.jpeg
    Maine Staff officer Civil War Coat.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
Upvote 7

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice find:icon_thumright:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the killer button. I don’t recall seeing one of those before.

Way to hang in there and score. Perseverance pays off.

Good luck to you sir.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That button is gorgeous, the gold gilt is amazing! That alone would have made anybody's day, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread