What's new

Making memorys!!!!

relic nut

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2014
Messages
4,006
Reaction score
7,277
Golden Thread
1
Location
VA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making memory's!!!!

This is proof that good stuff is still there. I am tore up!!!!! Found my first (and probably only Cannonball today) Hunted a place today that I know has been pounded by the veterans of this hobby. (It is private land) We have been there once before and only found a little bit of lead. Today started out the same with a few bucky balls and one fired round ball. Then I found a flat button and a small eagle button. It is a cuff button with an eagle holding a anchor. I think this is a Union naval button, but can't explain what it is doing in a Confederate defensive position. This site has visible breast works and two Cannon in placements. I was hunting one of the breast works when I got a good, deep signal. After about 10" I new it was big,deep iron. At 18 + inches out popped this Cannonball. I'm getting the shakes just telling you about it. There are a lot of you who know how it feels. Its incredible!!!!! It weighs about 2 lbs and measures about 3 1/2 inches across. The fuse is gone. I would love to know what I have, Union/Confederate and what you can tell me about it. Sorry for rambling but I am beside myself. Picture heavy. Thanks, one happy Nut!!
 

Attachments

  • 1445207456605.webp
    1445207456605.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 1445207471145.webp
    1445207471145.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 1445207489886.webp
    1445207489886.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 1445207505484.webp
    1445207505484.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 1445207521888.webp
    1445207521888.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 1445207545685.webp
    1445207545685.webp
    107.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 1445207575914.webp
    1445207575914.webp
    181.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 1445207591825.webp
    1445207591825.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 40
that would be like a life time achievement find for me!!! would love to dig that bad boy up!!!! congrats dude!!:thumbsup:
 
Huge piece of history you found :occasion14:
 
Excellent find RN!! I'll email the Cannonball Guy & ask him to look at it. WTG, Q.
 
Excellent find RN!! I'll email the Cannonball Guy & ask him to look at it. WTG, Q.

Thanks Bud, I'd love to know more about it. :thumbup:
 
Wow I would have given up at 15inches. That's incredible! Congrats!
 
Wow I would have given up at 15inches. That's incredible! Congrats!

If I hadn't have been in the trench/breast work, I probably would have.
 
Man, that's dedication. Eighteen inches is deep. I know you are probably using all metal settings, but which machine were you using? I'm guessing the Telekinetic 4000
 
Man, that's dedication. Eighteen inches is deep. I know you are probably using all metal settings, but which machine were you using? I'm guessing the Telekinetic 4000

ATP, wide open in pro zero. No discrimination. It was a good signal all the way but its a big target.
 
Awesome cannon ball , I'd be tore up too. [emoji106]
 
My friend Quindy gave me a heads-up about your find, and said you wanted the correct ID for it, and more info about it.

It is a civil war era Bormann-fuzed shell for a 6-Pounder caliber smoothbore cannon. That cannon's bore diameter is 3.67 inches, and because it is a muzzleloading cannon, the ammunition for it is typically about 3.58 inches in diameter, a bit smaller than the bore diameter.

From before the American Revolution up to the American civil war, the 6-Pounder caliber smoothbore cannons were popular in Europe and the American Colonies because they were "lightweight" (easily move-able) cannons. But in the second year of the civil war, the yankee Ordnance Department decided the 6-Pounders were too puny in comparison to the new generation of artillery, called Rifled cannons, which were much more powerful and had longer range. So, in the Virginia theater of the war, yankee 6-Pounders had "gone away" by the summer of 1862. For example, no yankee 6-pounder cannonballs have been found at the Seven Days (Virginia) battlefields of June/July 1862.

That being said... the yankee army in Virginia shipped its 6-Pounder cannons off to the "Western" campaigns, where they were still being used by yankee artillerymen in 1863, at places like the Siege of Vicksburg (summer 1863).

The Confederates, however, even Lee's army in Virginia, were so "needy" of cannons that they held onto their 6-Pounder cannons through the end of the war. Many Confederate 6-Pounder cannonballs have been dug in the 1864-65 Richmond-to-Petersburg Siege Trenches.

So, depending on the date of the Virginia battlefield you found your 6-Pounder cannonball at, the odds highly favor it being a Confederate-made one. Unless it's from an 1861 or very-early-1862 Virginia battlefield, it's Confederate.

Your shell is missing its Bormann timefuze, a type first invented in Europe and imitated over here by the Yankees in the mid-1850s and by the Confederates in 1861-through-1863. It would not have been fired without its fuze (and the Bormann "support-plug" located under the fuze in the fuzehole), so a soldier must have taken it apart for the gunpowder and lead antipersonnel balls in it, and discarded its fuze and support-plug. Those two parts are probably laying somewhere nearby.

If you don't already know what a Bormann fuze looks like, here's a photo showing a Confederate-made one in a 6-Pounder caliber cannonball.
 

Attachments

  • fuze_Bormann_CS_exc-pipehump-photo_6pounder_HHighBridgeVA_photobyEmike_00341_5.webp
    fuze_Bormann_CS_exc-pipehump-photo_6pounder_HHighBridgeVA_photobyEmike_00341_5.webp
    52.8 KB · Views: 127
If the cannonballguy doesn't know what it is then its probably not a cannonball. Congrats on the find and Thread closed LOL
 
I can feel your elation all the way in Ohio. :headbang: Congrats on that awesome find. :notworthy:
 
Thanks a bunch Cannonball guy!!!!! It's nice to know what you have and you explained it well. Thanks again. RN
 
Time to get back out there and find the rest..... Need help?:laughing7:
 
Time to get back out there and find the rest..... Need help?:laughing7:

I'll definitely be back but I have a feeling if the fuze is near depth of CB I'll never get a signal. But you never know.
 
Wow, that's pretty sweet! That'll make a great addition to your collection of goodies
 
Phenom Relic.
Well done.
 
RELIC NUT THIS IS A GREAT FIND , WAY TO GO MY FREIND .........
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom