Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've been using 3 tone mode pretty much since I got my Makro Racer 2 last year. Recently I've been going over my well trod hunting grounds looking for the deep signals. These are usually the Iffy's that are so quiet and may not sound off the same when sweeping one way and then the other. Lots of times I'll get lucky and pull up a Silver Merc or Wheatie, but mostly i'll get old deep nails. I never liked 2 tone because I didn't like the stock sounds it was putting out until that is, I adjusted them. Now I run my Racer 2 in two tone with the tone break at 79 and the audio tone at 64, This lets the machine sound off in the high tone for pennies and higher. All other signals I set to an audio tone of 33 like what I have setup under the stock 3 tone mode. This lets me spot the deeper silver without sounding like an iffy signal. Sometimes I'll switch to 3 tone to hear it as an iffy, but its like the 2 tone takes a questionable tone and removes all doubt. Just last night I found a Rosie about 7 inches down then a war nickel about 3 feet away. The week before when I had just switched from 3 to 2 tone mode I immediately found a silver religious medallion next to a mercury dime, then another deep merc popped out a few minutes later. Each of these signals were compared in the 3 tone mode and all of them were iffy's, barely audible and questionable. If you've never tried 2 tone mode, look at what you have set up in 3 tone mode and adjust the Racer to match the audio tones you have set up in that mode. then adjust the tone break to your preference. You'll be amazed at the depth you gain by operating in 2 tone over 3, and things will pop up where you swear there was nothing before.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Two tone is definitely deeper than three tone. I'm not a fan of VCO audio unless it's in the pinpoint mode.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, the better you know your machine, the more you'll find. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found another Merc '36 and deep in 2 Tone. It was repeatable with no VDI. In 3 tone it was a small blip in one direction, and it would have gotten passed over.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three tone is great for pulling targets out of iron infested sites, and fresh drops of coins and jewelry, but if you're after the older / deeper coins then two tone is the way to go. Deep mode can be even deeper in the right soil but remember you have to slow down your swing. You have to slow Waaaaay down.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know about Deep mode and yes slow is the way to go. I only use it as a second opinion on iffy targets. It's nothing I would use as a go to mode, unless I just forget to switch it back to 2 or 3 tone, or if i was stoned.

Semtav

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice info Doc. Ive been playing with different settings. Two tone is definitely deeper than 3 tone. and deep mode is even deeper. I haven't played with switching audio tones yet, but I'll try your settings. I like to run the tone break below 70 because I 've found a couple medallions and tokens in the 70 to 73 range and don't want to have to keep my eye on the vdi for those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread