Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There have been reports that the Manticore has a problem with salt water making contact with the coil connector on back of the control box. If the connector receives intermittent contact with salt water the Manticore with become unstable regardless of settings. When the coil is above or constantly below water the issue is not present. Presumably, the problem may be related to a “floating ground” utilized on the Manticore.

Yesterday, for the first time, I took my Manticore and new 15” coil to the beach for a water hunt (Beach low conductors with Underwater Boost). It worked fine on the dry sand but as soon as I was waist deep the detector became unstable, whining with a large black dot (signal) appearing centered roughly from VDI 0 to 10-15 on the 2-D display. I am not sure if this is the same issue as reported above.

At the time, I wasn’t aware of the salt water issue with the coil connector. When working on the problem while in the water I turned off Underwater boost, and it seemed to help, somewhat. But it was impossible to hunt in the water with the Manticore. I returned to my truck and got my back-up Equinox 800 with 15” coil in order to hunt.

Now I am wondering if the Manticore is only good for dry sand??? Was it the 15" coil?

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
My new M15 has only been on one saltwater outing spending about 2 hours under water with no problems. I just disconnected the coil and the only thing I would suggest is that you inspect the cable connector and verify that the red O-Ring in intact and clean (no sand). The connector needs to be screwed down snugly as the red O-Ring is the only protection from water entering between the cable and control unit's connectors pt prevent any water egress. I have over 500 hours with the Manticore submerged with no ill effects.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Apparently, issue only happens in surf with intermittent contact between salt water and coil connector, as reported by others. When in air only or in total water submersion problem doesn't occur. But I'm not convinced that is my problem, per se. Going back in Gulf tomorrow and trouble shoot more and see if problem is as reported. Also have to see if problem occurs with standard 11" coil. Others have also reported failed coils.
I do a lot of water hunting and even use silicon to secure a water tight seal with all connectors. Gone through 4 Equinox 800s, 3 CTX 3030s and Excal II is older backup. But never any problems like this before. Just got Manticore about month ago but usually only hunt with larger coils in Gulf.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you're able to figure out the problem and get everything working

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
First thing to consider is the salinity of the water where you hunt. Also, this is a common problem with some metal detectors, some are worse than others, ....right in that area of the coil connector. Saltwater hitting or,... in that area, causes the detector to act stupid.... a player in this is how salty your water is.. fresh water does not affect this area as far as I know. Eric Foster had a name for this, I can't remember what he called it but it's like the connector has a small field that is created at this point. Saltwater affects this field.......... My Excalibur's have it when my waters are ruff, and my AQ PI has it so bad I had to put a "Audio on/off toggle" to save my ears. And I hunt brackish waters so it is not as bad here, in Florida your up against higher salinity waters. When hunting a area of the shallow water.... where the water level hits this area, it makes it impossible to hunt ..so you either hove to go deeper into, or shallow where the water is not hitting this area. I don't think some experience this for they never hunt these areas, I know I would not have the problem with the AQ if did not use a sifter. I dig a target and than I have to lift the coil out of the water to check the sifter if the target is in it (Or Pinpoint it) , as soon as this area comes out of the water the machine give off a falsing signal, than going under the same issue.. so I fixed that..
423472439_931717188588915_3603369667436135033_n.jpg

I have another friend that found a solution for his AQ.., Much like a Faraday cage? ...he has covered this entire area with aluminum foil.. which blocks of this field from being affect by surroundings and now he can hunt that area in the water where some people weigh into.. I do have a picture but do not have his permission to share.. yet.. Thanks Jim..
423454452_955709425416843_2684622419876922664_n.jpg

Notice in video as soon as it comes out of the water and as soon as that area hits the water going back in it falses.. and this is before I put the toggle on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
First thing to consider is the salinity of the water where you hunt. Also, this is a common problem with some metal detectors, some are worse than others, ....right in that area of the coil connector. Saltwater hitting or,... in that area, causes the detector to act stupid.... a player in this is how salty your water is.. fresh water does not affect this area as far as I know. Eric Foster had a name for this, I can't remember what he called it but it's like the connector has a small field that is created at this point. Saltwater affects this field.......... My Excalibur's have it when my waters are ruff, and my AQ PI has it so bad I had to put a "Audio on/off toggle" to save my ears. And I hunt brackish waters so it is not as bad here, in Florida your up against higher salinity waters. When hunting a area of the shallow water.... where the water level hits this area, it makes it impossible to hunt ..so you either hove to go deeper into, or shallow where the water is not hitting this area. I don't think some experience this for they never hunt these areas, I know I would not have the problem with the AQ if did not use a sifter. I dig a target and than I have to lift the coil out of the water to check the sifter if the target is in it (Or Pinpoint it) , as soon as this area comes out of the water the machine give off a falsing signal, than going under the same issue.. so I fixed that..
View attachment 2134355

I have another friend that found a solution for his AQ.., Much like a Faraday cage? ...he has covered this entire area with aluminum foil.. which blocks of this field from being affect by surroundings and now he can hunt that area in the water where some people weigh into.. I do have a picture but do not have his permission to share.. yet.. Thanks Jim..
View attachment 2134483

Notice in video as soon as it comes out of the water and as soon as that area hits the water going back in it falses.. and this is before I put the toggle on it.

Very Interesting. Didn't have problem with Excal II, CTX3030 or Equinox 800. Next time in Gulf with Manticore I'll trouble shoot more and get back to ya'll.

Reactions: OBN
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Found out the problem with the 15" coil on the Manticore when in salt water - It is easy to overdrive Sensitivity; I had it on 20 or so at the time of the problem. Because the 15" coil AND Manticore are supersensitive, you have to keep Sensitivity around 15-16 when in salt water. I always ran Sensitivity on my Equinox 800s with 15" coils around 20-21 (on 25 Max scale) in the same environment. With the Manticore and 15" coil, keep the Sensitivity around 15-16 (out of 35 Max) to avoid the issue. Seems to work, today I snagged a small gold bracelet and King Will spinner ring. Have to publish with protos. Thanks goes to "Tom" for helping solve the problem.
Btw, drowned my 3rd Equinox 800 today. Luckily, still under 3 yr warranty so have to send in for replacement, again. A BIG reason to upgrade to 900 or Manticore, I guess, although I HATE Manticore sounds; can only hear and use when on underwater Boost!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread