What's new

Manticore vs Deus?,,,,,,,,

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
3,295
Reaction score
2,665
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vicksburg Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a true comparison on these two machines. Not really interested in thoughts if you own one or the other. I'm looking for guys that have used both of these machines so you can give a fair comparison on both. I'm considering upgrading to the Manticore, but possible the Deus. If there is a better place to post this, let me know. Thank you.
 
What type of hunting are you planning to do: Parks, Beaches, Cellar Holes, Fields...

I swing the Manticore and my buddy swings the Deus II. We both hunt cellar holes in the woods. In my opinion they are both evenly matched.

I like the Manticore as the screen is in color while the Deus in only B/W.

I feel that the Deus II removable control box is a design flaw as it can get lost.

Just my $0.02
 
Last edited:
What type of hunting are you planning to do: Parks, Beaches, Cellar Holes, Fields...

I swing the Manticore and my buddy swings the Deus II. We both hunt cellar holes in the woods. In my opinion they are both evenly matched.

I like the Manticore as the screen is in color while the Deus in only B/W.

I feel that the Deus II removable control box is a design flaw as it can get lost.

Just my $0.02
I heard that the Manticore can't be opened up and worked on if there is ever an issue? I also heard that the Deus has the battery in the coil so if that goes bad you buy a new coil. Just weighing my options before spending lots of cash.
 
I have no desire to open up my manticore so that's a non-issue.

My buddy has never had a coil go dead on him.
 
On the Deus 2 High Freq coil. The battery is in ther shaft and can be replaced very easy. I even have a spare battery for my deus2 high Freq coil
 
I own both and use both. They are both excellent detectors, fairly evenly matched IMHO. I have found more "good" items at some sites with the Manticore and at other sites with the Dues 2. Depends on ground, I guess. Until I got the HF2 coil for the Deus 2, I liked the Manticore better for heavy iron sites. The HF2 coil has made the Deus 2 equal to the Manticore in heavy iron. Some may say the Manticore has the 2d target trace to help determine good targets from bad. The Deus 2 also has the XY screen which helps the user determine if a target is worth digging.

One thing I like about the Manticore over the Deus 2: Not sure if this was intended by Minelab, but you can tell ferrous over non-ferrous when using the pinpoint feature. If you have the red vdi turned on, when you pinpoint if at any time the numbers turn red, the target is most likely iron. I've seen this in operation and dug the targets to verify. Helps when digging bent nails that sound like coin targets.

Batteries: The Manticore has one lithium battery in the control and one in the headphones. The Deus 2 has three batteries, one in the remote, one in the coil (or coil shaft), and one in the headphones. I've been able to do 7-8 hour hunt with both detectors on full batteries. I usually only go out about 4 hours at a time. I can do Saturday and Sunday 4 hours each day on one charge.

You can't go wrong with either!

Just some advice:

Manticore: Get the M8 and M9 coils. You'll find yourself using the M9 regularly over the stock M11. The M8 is the master in heavy iron to find good targets.
Deus 2: Get the 9" coil, like the Manticore, you'll find yourself using the 9" regularly. Also get the HF2 coil. You will find more using it heavy iron and general use.
 
I own both and use both. They are both excellent detectors, fairly evenly matched IMHO. I have found more "good" items at some sites with the Manticore and at other sites with the Dues 2. Depends on ground, I guess. Until I got the HF2 coil for the Deus 2, I liked the Manticore better for heavy iron sites. The HF2 coil has made the Deus 2 equal to the Manticore in heavy iron. Some may say the Manticore has the 2d target trace to help determine good targets from bad. The Deus 2 also has the XY screen which helps the user determine if a target is worth digging.

One thing I like about the Manticore over the Deus 2: Not sure if this was intended by Minelab, but you can tell ferrous over non-ferrous when using the pinpoint feature. If you have the red vdi turned on, when you pinpoint if at any time the numbers turn red, the target is most likely iron. I've seen this in operation and dug the targets to verify. Helps when digging bent nails that sound like coin targets.

Batteries: The Manticore has one lithium battery in the control and one in the headphones. The Deus 2 has three batteries, one in the remote, one in the coil (or coil shaft), and one in the headphones. I've been able to do 7-8 hour hunt with both detectors on full batteries. I usually only go out about 4 hours at a time. I can do Saturday and Sunday 4 hours each day on one charge.

You can't go wrong with either!

Just some advice:

Manticore: Get the M8 and M9 coils. You'll find yourself using the M9 regularly over the stock M11. The M8 is the master in heavy iron to find good targets.
Deus 2: Get the 9" coil, like the Manticore, you'll find yourself using the 9" regularly. Also get the HF2 coil. You will find more using it heavy iron and general use.
Thank you for this information, it is what I was looking for.
 
What type of hunting are you planning to do: Parks, Beaches, Cellar Holes, Fields...

I swing the Manticore and my buddy swings the Deus II. We both hunt cellar holes in the woods. In my opinion they are both evenly matched.

I like the Manticore as the screen is in color while the Deus in only B/W.

I feel that the Deus II removable control box is a design flaw as it can get lost.

Just my $0.02
I hunt fields, woods, and old yards for relics. I also hunt old parks, and fairgrounds for old coins. I also hunt construction sites for coins and relics.
 
What type of hunting are you planning to do: Parks, Beaches, Cellar Holes, Fields...

I swing the Manticore and my buddy swings the Deus II. We both hunt cellar holes in the woods. In my opinion they are both evenly matched.

I like the Manticore as the screen is in color while the Deus in only B/W.

I feel that the Deus II removable control box is a design flaw as it can get lost.

Just my $0.02
That's the best part of the Deus. I use a joggers band for the head unit and it's lite as a feather to swing.
 
Looking for a true comparison on these two machines. Not really interested in thoughts if you own one or the other. I'm looking for guys that have used both of these machines so you can give a fair comparison on both. I'm considering upgrading to the Manticore, but possible the Deus. If there is a better place to post this, let me know. Thank you.
I had a Deus. Never could "connect" to the machine and I found it a bit cumbersome. Probably just me. Just got a Manticore and though my use is limited, I find it much more user friendly and the signal tones seem to "lock on" targets better for me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom