What's new

Looking To Upgrade. Manticore Vs Deus 2. Pros/Cons?

JustOneMorePlug

Full Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
177
Reaction score
937
Golden Thread
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im looking to upgrade from nox 900. I have hundreds of hours on my machine and really like it but it struggles with iron infested areas and EMI.

I primarily hunt old homesites with some occasional beach hunting. I have my eye set on a manticore or deus 2. I have always been a minelab guy but I have read the manticore struggles with the same issues.

Which do you prefer?
What's been your experience with either machine?
Pros is cons?

Thanks for your input!
 
I find myself using the Manticore over any other detector I have. That is simply because I have found better non-ferrous items with the Manticore at my 1859 School permission than I have with the Deus 2.

EMI is more of a problem on the Deus 2 than the Manticore, IMHO. If the noise cancel doesn't remove the EMI on the Manty, just turn down the sensitivity, but I rarely need to touch either. The Deus 2 seems to suffer from EMI from underground dog fences more than anything else. It has become much better with recent firmware updates, and I hear it's even better using the new HF2 coil which I have yet to buy.

Both detectors are great in iron infested areas. If you decide on the Deus 2, make sure to get the 9" coil. I made the mistake of getting mine with the 11" coil. Once I bought the 9", I never looked back! Same with the Manticore, make sure to get the M9 9" coil. I think you'll find each detector paired with they're 9" coils are hard to beat. Swing low and slow with each detector in iron infested areas. The slower you swing the better you will hear the non-ferrous targets.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either detector. IMHO, there aren't many cons with either.
 
EMI is more of a problem on the Deus 2 than the Manticore, IMHO. If the noise cancel doesn't remove the EMI on the Manty, just turn down the sensitivity, but I rarely need to touch either. The Deus 2 seems to suffer from EMI from underground dog fences more than anything else. It has become much better with recent firmware updates, and I hear it's even better using the new HF2 coil which I have yet to buy.
Underground power lines also gave my Deus 2 with the 11" coil a lot of interference. But only within a few feet either side of the line, and turning down the sensitivity helped a lot. But then I got the HF2 coil and the power lines don't cause any problem at all. I have no experience with the Manticore (or any other Minelab), so can't speak to that. My only complaint about the Deus 2 is that it doesn't come with a box of 26-hour days so I'd have more time to hunt with it.
 
Thanks for yall's input. I appreciate it!
 
Deus two has a much smaller viewing screen. Menu system is way less intuitive with some features put in places that make no sense. Charging system is a pain in the ass with three different options (coil, head unit and headphones) to charge - EVERY time as something will die mid hunt because the battery life is not the same between all three items, so recharge times are staggered and sooner or later that catches you out. And the charge clip for the coil can be difficult at time to keep in place so sometimes you think you charged it, but it didnt take! There are some after market charging clips that work better, but do not get one from Don at Detecting Doodads, the guy is a low integrity dirtbag who says he'll stand behind his low quality product - and then doesn't.
All that said, its not knocking the d2's capabilities, they're excellent. It just has some side issues that I dont like. Oh, and 1000% get an aftermarket mounting clip as the head unit can very easily be knocked off the factory mount and thats $500 or more for a new head unit! They do give you a tether cord to keep it from disappearing, but if that gets frayed or broken you're outta luck. There is a nice adjustable/tilting mount that encases the entire head unit like a coil cover and fits into the shaft like the factory head mount. Probably a couple of makers on that by now or check thingiverse for 3d print codes. I think the ergonomics are a bit better on the D2. And maybe the detecting capabilities as the manticore has fallen short of my expectations (I have several hundred hours on both, but havent used the d2 in a while). Either one is a very good machine. The transition from the 900 to the manticore will be way easier since you know minelabs set up. The deus is a whole new language.
 
Last edited:
Underground power lines also gave my Deus 2 with the 11" coil a lot of interference. But only within a few feet either side of the line, and turning down the sensitivity helped a lot. But then I got the HF2 coil and the power lines don't cause any problem at all. I have no experience with the Manticore (or any other Minelab), so can't speak to that. My only complaint about the Deus 2 is that it doesn't come with a box of 26-hour days so I'd have more time to hunt with it.
Great posting RobertK !!!
 
Thanks for yall's input. I appreciate it!
I thought I'd post this Skill School video where Gary Blackwell compare the D2, Manticore, and EQ900. It's basic, but it might help with your decision.

 
Sibbley do they use the D2 high freq coil in there testing's
 
Sibbley do they use the D2 high freq coil in there testing's
I'm not sure if Gary has done anything with the new HF2 yet. The video I posted is just the similarities between the three detectors.

Update: Gary does have two vids using the new HF2 coil.
 
Thanks everyone for your input. The manticore seems to be the way to go.
 
Finnaly pulled the trigger. Ended up getting the manticore for $1274.15 out the door from big boys hobbies. 15% military discount, no taxes and free shipping! Grest deal! Any setting suggestions for heavy iron sites?
 
L
Finnaly pulled the trigger. Ended up getting the manticore for $1274.15 out the door from big boys hobbies. 15% military discount, no taxes and free shipping! Grest deal! Any setting suggestions for heavy iron sites?
et us know how quite it is please. Every video I see only includes the coil swinging over a target. I’d really like to see how it sounds swinging over the ground. I’m worried it’s a noisy high strung horse depending on what type of soils you have.
 
L

et us know how quite it is please. Every video I see only includes the coil swinging over a target. I’d really like to see how it sounds swinging over the ground. I’m worried it’s a noisy high strung horse depending on what type of soils you have.
Normally quiet. If it would get noisy, just do a noise cancel and that usually does the trick.
 
Starting at 2:40 in this video he goes over his settings and swings the coil over the ground “a little chirpy on the ground but I could work with that”

Holy cow! It is sounding off on every rock going crazy. Is this to be expected? Granted it easily detected his buried nuggets, but with all those noises, how would you hear that deeper target? This is what has me worried.
 
Deus two has a much smaller viewing screen. Menu system is way less intuitive with some features put in places that make no sense. Charging system is a pain in the ass with three different options (coil, head unit and headphones) to charge - EVERY time as something will die mid hunt because the battery life is not the same between all three items, so recharge times are staggered and sooner or later that catches you out. And the charge clip for the coil can be difficult at time to keep in place so sometimes you think you charged it, but it didnt take! There are some after market charging clips that work better, but do not get one from Don at Detecting Doodads, the guy is a low integrity dirtbag who says he'll stand behind his low quality product - and then doesn't.
All that said, its not knocking the d2's capabilities, they're excellent. It just has some side issues that I dont like. Oh, and 1000% get an aftermarket mounting clip as the head unit can very easily be knocked off the factory mount and thats $500 or more for a new head unit! They do give you a tether cord to keep it from disappearing, but if that gets frayed or broken you're outta luck. There is a nice adjustable/tilting mount that encases the entire head unit like a coil cover and fits into the shaft like the factory head mount. Probably a couple of makers on that by now or check thingiverse for 3d print codes. I think the ergonomics are a bit better on the D2. And maybe the detecting capabilities as the manticore has fallen short of my expectations (I have several hundred hours on both, but havent used the d2 in a while). Either one is a very good machine. The transition from the 900 to the manticore will be way easier since you know minelabs set up. The deus is a whole new language.
So glad to read this comment. I have been trying to decide which to go to, the D2 or Manticore but do not like the look of the D2 screen and after reading (before your post) about 3 things that have to be charged, I was very much leaning toward the Manitcore. Only thing I can't understand is several of the guys who I watch videos of, all use the D2..... so was doubting my decision. Your comment is reinforcing the Manticore is probably a better fit for me.
I'm coming from the AT Pro that I love but am wanting to revive some properties that surely have more to find. I'm used to change the batteries and go so not sure about having to remember to charge things ahead of time.
 
The Deus 2 High Freq coil is AMAZING !!'
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom