What's new

Marble bust, possibly Buddhist? Signed

ToastedB

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 21, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased this marble bust many years ago at a yard sale and I have no clue as to what it is. My best guess is that it relates to Buddhist sculptures. Stands at approximately 8 and 3/4 of an inch. In regards to the maker's mark, it is difficult for me to distinguish the pores in the stone to the dotting of a possible "i" or "j". The bottom is covered in felt.
 

Attachments

  • 20190221_102841.webp
    20190221_102841.webp
    221.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190221_102945.webp
    20190221_102945.webp
    213.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190221_103248.webp
    20190221_103248.webp
    227.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20190221_103409.webp
    20190221_103409.webp
    226.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20190221_103342.webp
    20190221_103342.webp
    213.8 KB · Views: 78
I'm guessing East African.
 
Upvote 0
Is it soapstone?
 
Upvote 0
I cleaned up your pic of the artists signature... looks like 'david' '77. :thumbsup:

Interesting that the sevens are crossed through the middle, this would indicate a European origin for its manufacture.
I'm no expert of stone, but it looks to be made of marble and was been carved using electric or air powered tools.

I'd be interested to see if there's anything on the base as well. :icon_scratch:
Dave
 

Attachments

  • 20190221_103248-crop.webp
    20190221_103248-crop.webp
    563.1 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
I cleaned up your pic of the artists signature... looks like 'david' '77. :thumbsup:

Interesting that the sevens are crossed through the middle, this would indicate a European origin for its manufacture.
I'm no expert of stone, but it looks to be made of marble and was been carved using electric or air powered tools.

I'd be interested to see if there's anything on the base as well. :icon_scratch:
Dave

20190221_103019.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wow some knowledgable tnetters on here, Cool piece
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom