OP
OP
ShowmeMoflint

ShowmeMoflint

Dec 27, 2008
L.C.M.O.
Detector(s) used
eyeballs and walking stick
Sorry about pic size I normally use photobucket and didn't resize the picture before using the in house loader. Here is the pics from photobucket
IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I agree with duffytrash..

If anyone tells you that marble is'nt worth more than a buck,laugh at them and hold onto the marble. I don't know how many times I've seen monetary values posted at this website or in Treasure Magazine that in no way reflect true historical/personal value.

OP
OP
ShowmeMoflint

ShowmeMoflint

Dec 27, 2008
L.C.M.O.
Detector(s) used
Re: I agree with duffytrash..

Marbleguy said:
If anyone tells you that marble is'nt worth more than a buck,laugh at them and hold onto the marble. I don't know how many times I've seen monetary values posted at this website or in Treasure Magazine that in no way reflect true historical/personal value.
What do think the value of this particular marble is?
I am not going to sell it but I am curious to see what the value would on these type of marbles because I have several others in my case along with arrowheads. One other question for ya It is an Indian made marble or trade era marble?

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
the value in a marble is in the beauty of it...while those have some age prob mid 1800 to 1920s or so they hold little value...+ they are very common...a more colorful a marble is the more its worth...no way of teling that was a trade item or not...lots of them came from germany and some were made in ohio...it coulda had designs painted on it then glazed to preserve the design...its believed by some that unglazed marbles were used in ships for ballast back in the day...but it was a cheap toy and not much money was around back then for toys...they had some industrial application too as check valves or stoppers on bottles...or filter systems...i wouldnt discard it but its got very little value to a collector......a regular size marble like that would be worth pennies.....that one at that size maybe a coupla bucks...im not tryin to degrade anybodies stuff but thats the reality of it...ive sold thousands of marbles for a quarter..

OP
OP
ShowmeMoflint

ShowmeMoflint

Dec 27, 2008
L.C.M.O.
Detector(s) used
Thanks Duffy trash for the clarification. Wouldn't sell this marble even if I was offered twenty dollars for it it holds more personal value.

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
That is SOO true..

I subscribe to Treasure Magazine and often laugh at the quoted monetary values of artifacts people have found. Someone finds an engraved widget from 1910 and one just like it sold on Ebay for $10 so the artifact's worth ten bucks. Very few finders-of-artifacts would sell something that holds true historical meaning to them for pocket change. If I were in the business of selling artifacts and moving large quantities it might be a different matter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread