marble id help

hiller

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2009
Hi all,
This is my first time posting on this forum. I have a few marbles I dug up and would like to show you and possibly get any kind of info on them - maker, name, worth keeping? But first, who am I? Well I have a beard that has turned white. But enough on that. Years ago I spent a lot of time hunting for old bottle dumps. I'm sure a lot of you know, poison ivy, mosquito and centipede bites, cut fingers....etc. In my one track mind at the time, I would discard marbles, and flip them down the hill uninterested. Wish I had them all now... Anyway, I hadn't done any dump digging in a few years and then moved to a new area in eastern PA, and I started taking a lot of walks in the woods and found an old dump site on a hillside not far from town. I've been digging there for two years and found a few decent bottles- baby face milks, beer bottles....etc. But I've been finding a lot of marbles also. Instead of flipping them away, I now keep them. Every time I dig there, I would bring home 5-6 marbles. I can't wait for spring so I can go up there, get dirty, and hear that familiar high pitched buzzing in my ears from hungry, blood sucking insects. Anyway, that's a little about me. I will post more when I start digging. Until then, good health to all and thanks for any information passed along. The marbles run 9/16" to 5/8" in size.
Hiller

Attachments

• mymarbles.jpg
    mymarbles.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 418
  • mymarbles 002.jpg
    mymarbles 002.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 415
OP
OP
H

hiller

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2009
crazyjarhead said:
This needs to go under marble section........ :icon_sunny: Duffytrash or marbleguy will help you id . Welcome to the Net :thumbsup:

It is under marbles. Isn't it?

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I'm not a pro, but I'll give it a stab until Duffy can come by with his help.

#1 Dunno
#2 looks like Akro agate ade of some sort?
#3 some kind of ravenswood maybe? Need better pic.
#4 Looks like Akro colors...like a popeye
#5 Ravenswood swirl
#6 Slag
#7 maybe Champion or Alley
#8 Alley swirl
#9 & 10 Probably Alley

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
the cheese was right on his ids.....the akro ade type is good....with marbles the condition is the main thing...even the smallest scratch will hurt the marble...keep diggin!!!

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
Since your finding Akro Agate marbles be sure and look for there ash trays and children's tea set dishes in that dump. They can be worth more then the marbles

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Those are purty..

I'm 65. No white hair,yet. I live in a ghost town in the Calif Mojave Desert. No mosquitos here but lots of scorpions,black widow spiders and rattlesnakes. I've been excavating the old dumps near my town every day for eight years now. Found about 2,000 old marbles. Yes,do look for Akro Agate glassware. Save the colorful broken pieces. Also save the UV fluorescent green and lemon/lime uranium glass. Milky green McKee jadite (1930s) also glows under a blacklight. Save the old,brass ladies compack cosmetic cases,too. Especially look for tokens,watch fobs,etc. I've dug up a couple hundred of them. Mostly old brass mining tokens. For folks our age the excercise is improving our health and extending our lives.

OP
OP
H

hiller

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2009
Hi again, Thanks for everyone's reply. crazyjarhead- no problem, I'm not awake until I have 3 cups of coffee. cheese- after doing research trying to make ID's I know I'll never be a pro at it. duffytrash- I hope to dig more akro limeades in the same condition as these. I will keep digging this site as long as I can. roaddog- I agree with you on # 4, After going to joesmarbles. bottles10- Believe me , I've learned to keep my eyes open while digging. You never know what you'll find and that's what makes it so exciting. marbleguy- man you must have good genes, I'm a young snip at 59 yrs. lol. I've dug up lots of compacts but are always pitted real bad. Also digging up old carbide lamps at this spot, but most of the brass is rotted away. Yes the exercise is good and I hope we can keep digging for a long,long time to come. Well ,I want to thank everyone again for their comments. The rain outside is melting away the rest of our snow, I hope it's done now , I'm ready for spring. hiller

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread