Mark this Cache off of your "To Do" List...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Re: Mark this Cache off of your "To Do" List...

Think about it! Someone found the gold and left the double bucket. Someone else came along later and found the empty bucket and used it for target practice. You are liable to find treasure in almost anything, bucket, iron pot, crock pot, wood or iron chest, etc.etc.etc. Frank

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

Tuberale said:
I think you're missing the point, Arizona Bob: why spend more time on a project which has already been found?

And the proof for this being found is what? An empty bucket or two?

Maybe Bennett changed his mind about some things before he died. Maybe he picked a new guy to manage his money and moved it to a different spot. Maybe the Belle died before he did.

Proof?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Arizona Bob said:
Tuberale said:
I think you're missing the point, Arizona Bob: why spend more time on a project which has already been found?

And the proof for this being found is what? An empty bucket or two?

Maybe Bennett changed his mind about some things before he died. Maybe he picked a new guy to manage his money and moved it to a different spot. Maybe the Belle died before he did.

Proof?
Years back we used to stuff garbage like a soda can, ink pen, newspaper etc. in the hole as a courtesy to other hunters. Saved others wear & tear on their boots looking for something that's already been recovered. Makes perfect sense to me.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

$10,000 paid in 1902 for the sale of horses.
That would be a heck of a lot of horses for 10 grand paid in $20 gold pieces and that fortune stashed?
Way to musc money if you look at in 1966 gas in cal was 22 centsa gal and min wage was $1.25 a hour. and
some old timer was paid a fortune then?
I can't see that amount of money here.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Metal Detectorman said:
$10,000 paid in 1902 for the sale of horses.
That would be a heck of a lot of horses for 10 grand paid in $20 gold pieces and that fortune stashed?
Way to musc money if you look at in 1966 gas in cal was 22 centsa gal and min wage was $1.25 a hour. and
some old timer was paid a fortune then?
I can't see that amount of money here.
You need to keep in mind world events of the time, not just California.

Horses were bought by the government. That was only 3 years after Roosevelt's Rough Riders and San Juan Heights/Hill. Horses preferred by the cavalry and therefore the president.

OP
OP
TheRandyMan

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Horses were one of the main modes of transportation in that time period. Not surprising to me that he could sell a herd of 500 horses and get $20 per head...or possibly sell a couple of smaller herds over a few years and amass that money over some time period.

Scribe

Feb 18, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Personally I just appreciate the pictures and the story. Win or lose it's great to see other folks out hunting and running down the leads. Thanks for the post Randyman!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Metal Detectorman had the right question, $10,000 is bogus for horses. A robbery maybe. He was an ex-con and y'know.
BTW to raise and sell several hundreds of horses to the Army would reguire several sections of grazing and would require
some credentials to sell to govt. If it was a robbery he had help, partner involvement? Anyway its gone now if it ever was there.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Tuberale, please explain that retort.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just found this post, and its really interesting.

However, I wouldn't call it quits until I had been IN that water, and all the way through.

No matter what some folks say, it was a very popular thing to do one of two things - both involving water.

(1) - put the gold in something and lower it into a well or livestock tank

(2) - put it in a pond, or some such watering hole.

The other major hiding place was underneath fence posts.

Beth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I am glad my question was right not to make sense.
I was thinking... Horses @ $20 a head... Now How many horses to sell to make $10,000!
In the old days that had to be a very high price and for the government spending then.
I heard of cattle drives but over 500 horses to be driven and fed & watered and stabled, there would be alot of mustangs which were wild and like stray mutts.
I don't think they would bring that kind of money. Even Rosevelt and his "Rough riders" I don't think he had that big of band and needed $10,000 worth of horses and the gov paid in gold for it later to be saved and hid?
That sounds like some kind of whoper of a story my friends.
Could I be wrong?

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As mentioned above, horses were the main mode of transportation and the government needed to expand it military and getting horses for each soldier was needed, probably desperately for those times to expand government intervention, not just with outlaws, indians, and wars, etc, so think on that perspective.

On another note one need to think outside the box, IF it was me to hide the cache, I would have many options, especially if in a remote location. Under rocks, by trees, stone fence, yada, yada, yada, BUT, IF, I wanted to make sure it was nice and secure for many years to come later with less of a chance of ANYONE stumbling on it by accident, snooping around, yada, yada, I would dig a pond, (no one would expect anything unusual), find the middle of it and bury my stash of cache, then just wait for the pond to fill up with water. No one would ever suspect that anything would be there except just a depression filled with water.

Water can be pumped out at a later time, or eventually evaporate and not ever fill again. But with the surroundings it looks as though it gets rain pretty good.

I would also do as directed and keep searching, depending on your time frame to search, I would find a way to flip all those heavy rocks and boulders over. The bucket thing could be that maybe someone was looking for it as well, heard the story, didn't find anything and to keep from anyone else looking, shoot up an old bucket and bury it. As mentioned before the bucket doesn't look as though it just came out of the ground/dirt, (I am not saying it isn't true), just the fact that by looking at it sitting in the hole, the bullet holes would be stuck with dirt, (providing it had been buried for a period of time), and not be clean looking like it does. The wagon bolen looks as if it had been buried! The bucket is too clean like it had been sitting outside exposed to normal weathering over the years and was sitting around and people used it for target practice.

Interesting story though. I wished I had time to go out and search for cache and treasures, but between work and the Army crap I have no time. I am planning on doing several things this year that entails finding some cache, gold, silver, heck, anything worth finding!!!

I got a new plan for this year and it is going to start with personal issues that needs to be straightened out and get my share of what is due, then once that is done, I will also make plans this year to get to Alaska to find gold one way or another, I WILL MAKE IT TO ALASKA and I don't care how cold it is, but I am going to get and find me some GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

goldentruth said:
I am glad my question was right not to make sense.
I was thinking... Horses @ $20 a head... Now How many horses to sell to make $10,000!
In the old days that had to be a very high price and for the government spending then.
I heard of cattle drives but over 500 horses to be driven and fed & watered and stabled, there would be alot of mustangs which were wild and like stray mutts.
I don't think they would bring that kind of money. Even Rosevelt and his "Rough riders" I don't think he had that big of band and needed $10,000 worth of horses and the gov paid in gold for it later to be saved and hid?
That sounds like some kind of whoper of a story my friends.
Could I be wrong?
At the risk of stating the obvious ...

"I am glad my question was right not to make sense." You still don't.

"Horses @ $20 a head ..." Seems pointless. How much for the whole horse?

"Even Rosevelt and his "Rough riders" ..." It's Roosevelt, not Rosevelt. Teddy Roosevelt led the "Rough Riders," not a bunch of poor horsemen. Research how much Roosevelt's horse and outfit cost him.

"Whoper?" What?

"Could I be wrong?" You must decide for yourself. No one else can teach you. You might consider what George Santayana said: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

You are way off on horse and mule prices in the period before world war one.
Horses are way cheaper now than they used to be before everyone started getting cars. A good work mule would bring higher prices than an average horse. There are biographical books about horse traders and how much money they could make in a season. I recommend them for good reading and treasure leads. Even in the pre-civil war period a really nice horse would bring around $5000 at auction. Several such sales are documented in the Poe book on the life of people in the south during the civil war. It quotes actual letters and diaries. One quoted was from a lady who complained that her husband paid $5000 for a riding horse just before the civil war and when the army came through they impressed the horse and gave a voucher for it that was alot smaller than what they paid for it. They also bought for gold and were paid in paper. siegfried schlagrule

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I give up and just don't know the value of each horse, not all people were rich or how many people had government money. Wages then? what I do know in the 50's... 25¢ a hour and in the 60's ...50¢-75¢ a hour,
Gas was 9¢ a gal. in 1966 I bought a 1956 Ford Fairlane for $100.00 and they threw in good tires.
Back to horses, alot of people had them,true but to get and sell $10,000 worth in what the 1800's, I just dont know... You may have a point but that is a lot of money in those days for just a farmer/horse seller?
I have to admit, I am sorry if I wasted your time by saying it sounds "far fetched" for me. You may be a better historian than I but at least I asked a question, silly as it sounds. I hope some one finds this treasure and shows me the truth my friend, Peace.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

goldentruth said:
I hope some one finds this treasure and shows me the truth my friend, Peace.
Might want to read the title of this thread, goldentruth.

Bennett said he hid the money in a twine box. That box was found on site. Why dig the box and leave it without first removing the contents?

Scar

Dec 25, 2010

No one has brought up some of the biblical clues in this story on this thread. (Sinai, bush, flat stones)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread