Mark your Calendar - Monmouth Battlefield Museum

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there are no major delays which there should not be the new museum at Monmouth Battlefield will open to the public on the weekend of June 15-16th. Which will also be the annual reenactment of the battle and will have 800+ reenactors involved. If you can make it I highly recommend that you go.

The museum will have world class exhibits and I'm being told it will be the best Revolutionary Battlefield Museum in the entire nation. Here is where our hobby comes into the mix. A large portion of the items in the exhibit were found with detectors by volunteer detectorists working with the archeologists (see it can be done...lol). The 'metal detector' is a main focus in one of the exhibits and they even created an interactive game where you metal detect the battlefield to find relics. The cannon on display in front of the museum was completely funded and created by a group of detectorists then donated to the NJ State Parks System along with all the road side displays. The group that did this work is called B.R.A.V.O. which stands for Battlefield Restoration and Archeological Volunteer Organization. To learn more about this group check out their website: http://www.bravodigs.com

I hope you can make it.

NJ

P.S. An artifact found by BRAVO at the end of last year at a different site was Artifact of the Month (Feb 2013) on the Philadelphia Archeology Forum this month: Philadelphia Archaeological Forum The group not only found it but also agreed to pay for the professional preservation to be done on the artifact. I love this group.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions