Market figures

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I check the Dow each morning, and a couple times during each day.
Been doing it for a while.
I'm still at a loss to understand what I see.

I call up the Business section of the Google news, and the top article declares Factory orders at 28yr low. Adjoining the article, in the next column is the Dow chart which shows a 135 point rise for the morning, so far.

Obviously I don't get it!

Factories and merchants are wilting, and the stock traders are making money hand over fist!

Maybe it's time for me to read a book?

rmptr

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Just look at it this way it's buying and trading company stock and being a share holder. Companies that do good will have a return for their inverstors ones that don't do good investors will lose. Some will make a profit and sell and some will cut their loses and buy or sell. You might have over a 1,000 stocks trading everyday let's say 400 of them did good and average +4.00% and 600 didn't do good and lost -6.00. That may add up to 200 points minus 300 points resulting in a dow loss of -100 for the day. Just because the dow lost such and such amount doesn't say it was a bad day it just say on "average" it was down but their where some that did good. To actually give you a good understanding about the stock market it's where companies are willing to divide up their ownership to willing shareholders or investors. If you are a shareholder you get a % of profits the company makes that is if they make a profit this is what you call dividends.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Jimmy, I think you may have over-simplified what's really going on with stock ownership.
It seems there are also 'preferred' shares, and class A & B shares that may be somewhat different from what the little guy on the street might ask his broker to buy for him... or even do his own E-trade for a minimal fee.
There are also those who buy controlling interest in stocks, watch it go up because of an increase in sales volume that is apparent to many folks, then dump it quickly after they show a profit, leaving the little people holding the bag.
Most recently we've seen a number of instances posted in the news where assets have not been valued properly on company books, leading people to beleive the company is stronger than it really is.
...Tell me, was it Goldman that was recently found to be running a computer program that did micro trades by 'sniffing' the teletype as market data was transmitted, yet not quite available for public use ?

How can you tell I think it's all a crap shoot with some very wealthy players controlling the dice ?

I'm still trying to sort out the hedge funds, derivatives, tranches, and things like that...

Somewhere along the line I'm coming to think that all the bond market has done is drive up the cost of Americans doing business, by some guys bleeding companies dry over at the side...

I gotta get a book !

Best
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread