Marthas Vineyard

Flyingbuy

Apr 20, 2009
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLabs (Explorer ) , Tesoro (DeLeon ) ,Garrett (AT Pro Gold)
Re: Martha's Vineyard

Ollieboy said:
Has anyone ever hunted on the Vineyard? I need to believe you could possible find some really old stuff there.
Ollieboy
I live on the Vineyard and have found the beeches unlimited and great after big storms . The majority of fields and farms are in the ownership of summer residence and can be hard to get permision from. I have found some nice coins out here but moved here from Concord, Ma. which was a gold mine for old coins.

ecnal

Greenie
Jan 31, 2010

With all the beach area I would assume it's great. Especially in Oak Bluffs, the beach right next to where the ferry comes in. Lots of tourists == lots of lost items.

buckster3257

Greenie
Feb 19, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live on Martha's Vineyard as well and have heard of a shipwreck off of south beach that washes up nice items every now and then. Also most open areas such as state beach where there isn't much protection from storms are usually good spots due to the amount of storms that occur every year.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buckster, you're replying to years old posts. I hunt your area with some Etown guys, once had a store there and hunted the island a lot from 1976-1982. Found a silver thimble last october in an OB park that was well pounded out. Do you hunt with other island detecting guys?

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. Been a lurker here for a while. My family and I will be on the island for a week in July. Is there any place you could recommend trying out? My son and I hit it hard here in Northern CA (far north) and western Nevada. Been at it for about 15 years; ghost towns, old emigrant trails and such. We did well last summer at the wife's family's property in NJ. I have no clue about the vineyard though. Thought about hitting the trails in the forest area looking for old home sites and such. Not much into the beach areas unless things are old!!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you---Mike

Last edited:

buckster3257

Greenie
Feb 19, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Buckster, you're replying to years old posts. I hunt your area with some Etown guys, once had a store there and hunted the island a lot from 1976-1982. Found a silver thimble last october in an OB park that was well pounded out. Do you hunt with other island detecting guys?

I'm actually only 19 so I haven't had a chance to get with many island folks and go metal detecting together although I know a few and have ran into a few along the way but I've just been busy with school and all but I'm always looking for new spots to go to have you had a lot of luck in certain areas? I've done pretty good in waban park because not many people go there anymore but it was popular around the late 1800's early 1900's and I've found an ok amount of coins there and for whatever reason I've found tons of old gun shell casings which is weird to think because of all the houses right there but I also found a gold engraved ring from 1901 on state beach this past harsh winter

MarcoM12

Oct 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I live on the Vineyard and have found the beeches unlimited and great after big storms . The majority of fields and farms are in the ownership of summer residence and can be hard to get permision from. I have found some nice coins out here but moved here from Concord, Ma. which was a gold mine for old coins.
Hi Flyingbuy,
I know this is an old post but I saw that you mentioned that you lived in Concord, MA and that it was a great place for old coins. I currently live in Concord and have had some experience metal detecting a couple old houses around here but not a lot because most land here is either privately owned or owned by the DCR which doesn't allow you to do anything other than walk on their land. If you could, would you be able to recommend some good areas to detect around here or in the surrounding towns?

Thanks,
Marco M.
[email protected]

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Marco, Fly hasn't posted since 2019. Here on the east coast most public places have been well hunted for years. Permission for private property is the best way to get unhunted sites and it isn't always easy to do. Some folks are good at door knocking and asking, some aren't. Start by asking neighbors and relatives and sometimes once you hunt one place you can get permission from that owner's friends. If you are new to detecting make sure you learn proper plug making and recovery of targets without making huge holes if you want to hunt private properties or anyplace else.

MarcoM12

Oct 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Marco, Fly hasn't posted since 2019. Here on the east coast most public places have been well hunted for years. Permission for private property is the best way to get unhunted sites and it isn't always easy to do. Some folks are good at door knocking and asking, some aren't. Start by asking neighbors and relatives and sometimes once you hunt one place you can get permission from that owner's friends. If you are new to detecting make sure you learn proper plug making and recovery of targets without making huge holes if you want to hunt private properties or anyplace else.
Thanks for letting me know, I have been detecting for many years but I haven't done it very often, maybe a couple times per year. Private properties will probably result in the best finds but I haven't really gotten to it yet. I've spent most of my time trying to find public places that allow it around here which I haven't found any yet, DCR is everywhere. I am also interested in trying rivers sometime this summer though. I have been using an ace 400 for a couple years and now recently switched to a simplex.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread