woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
In Maryland, the amount of mineralization can vary greatly over short distances, but its character will tend toward the magnetite end of the ground balancing spectrum. Since you're talking about using a machine in the discrimination mode, manual ground balancing probably wouldn't make much difference. I haven't looked up Baltimore Co. but if your soils aren't red clays, I'd say don't worry about it.

Of course working for FTP-Fisher, it's my duty to point out that there are alternatives to Tesoro (in particular you might check out the Teknetics Delta). But I'm not gonna knock Tesoro, they also have a good reputation, and in the past I've worked there myself. Different machines appeal to people for different reasons (just like automobiles), and if after careful consideration you think the Silver UMax is the right machine for you, go for it and tell Tesoro I sent you. After all, we may be competitors but we're not enemies.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
Lore

Lore

Greenie
Jun 26, 2011
Thanks woof! That's good news!
So far, I've only seen blackish/gray clays at about 8in down in my yard. I guess if it got bad, I could try and power balance the Silver umax.

"check out the Teknetics Delta"
I've seriously considered the Delta, along with the G2, F5, Omega8000, Gold Bug DP.
For now, I just want to keep things simple with a beep and dig detector until I get some confidence in what I'm doing. (Then get a G2:icon_thumright:)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The G2 is very simple, not much to learn. It has a dual processor that seems to be the "secret" to the detector being able to detect coins next to junk. What's above disc setting gives a loud beep to 8"+. with a large numerical ID. If an item is below disc setting, it gives a soft beep and displays a tiny number. It has a continuous # for ground phase readout, so you know when you need to redo the manual ground balance. A coin at 9"-10" in an air test is weak, but if it could be detected in ground, you'd probably get a large high number with the weak beep. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread