What's new

Masonic find ?

lucky d

Full Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
167
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
I found this piece at the old WWII Army Airfield near my house...it's about 2 inches high and very heavy for it's size...It seems to be handmade....I searched the web for masonic symbols and have found nothing quite like it, with the number 8 in the middle...I was wondering if it is military, masonic or maybe some sort of combination of the 2...Any help id'ing would be great...A friend said it looked like some sort of branding iron ? anywho,Best wishes and hh
 

Attachments

  • dp mason find.webp
    dp mason find.webp
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,100
Last edited:
Looked through WWI to present day US Army insignia and didn't find a mach. That doesn't mean it can't be a military insignia, just haven't found one like it. The character in the middle is that a B or 8?

All the Masonic insignia I looked at has a G in the middle no other letter or number.
 
Upvote 0
I think it's an 8...it could be a B though ? thanks for your input Mike...thanks for serving as well...hh
 
Upvote 0
I agree with Mike, Masonic symbols all have the letter G in the middle. Monty
 
Upvote 0
It could very well be a college /frat pin as the old army airfield is now a university....You'd think that would have crossed my mind ? d'uh...The old base is almost completely covered in concrete as the university keeps growing and growing...I will check up on that angle...Thanks again Mike...Best wishes and hh.
 
Upvote 0
It could be a fraternity/sority pin i suppose, but those I am familiar with seem to be more heraldic in nature.
 
Upvote 0
Any chance it's a automobile badge? V8? Just a thought...

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
The use of the "G" in the Square and Compass is not universal. It is used extensively in American lodges and some other English speaking lodges but not always. Outside of English speaking lodges you don't generally see it. Other symbols are used very frequently. (The plain Square and Compass without anything in it is also very common.) It is basically a stylistic thing. I've never seen an "8" in one but it is entirely possible that a Masonic club, military lodge or even a regular lodge may have done so.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom