Massive Hot Rock?

jasonv1701

Jul 15, 2012
{{PHOTO AT BOTTOM}}
So another adventure at a state park these past 2 weeks... my day off is Wednesday so I have hit my favorite spot these past 2 weeks, and this is a story both weeks in the making.

Last week I got a very strong signal on my Tracker IV (even in disc mode) so I started digging (obviously). A few minutes in a realized that a large rock was in my way, and I didn't get anything on my Garrett Pro-Pointer at all. I started thinking that the target was under this rock, so i went to work trying to free it. After another 20 minutes, I realized that this rock was pretty big, but I was committed at that point (probably to a mental hospital) so I dug on.

In all, it took me close to an hour to dig this thing out and throw it to the side. Once I did, I got my Tracker IV and swept the area again. Nothing. I swept the pile of dirt that I'd excavated. Nothing. I went back to the rock, which was sitting about five feet away from the hole. It was the rock. I hadn't personally had any experience with hot rocks, but obviously I was pretty bummed and left the area, fuming.

The whole week I thought about it. My wife told me I should carry it out and take a sledge to it. I wasn't so sure. I researched a bit to see if I could find out what it was. The closest thing that it looks like is a foundry trough plug. But then I thought, "why the hell would a trough plug be dumped onto Militia Hill in Fort Washington?" So this week, after finding some sweet Coke bottles (one from 1948) and an unfired .22 bullet, I carried the damn thing out.

Once I got home, I cleaned the rock off and weighed it. It weighs almost exactly 30 lbs. I'm attaching a pic of it to see if anyone can tell me what kind of rock it is. Something to know about Fort Washington, though... it is EXTREMELY rocky throughout... there seem to be rocks of all kinds littered everywhere. It gets a strong signal still on the Tracker IV, but nothing on the Pro Pointer. What does that mean? Any general thoughts or answers would be much appreciated. Here is the rock:

Attachments

• rock.jpeg
    rock.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 0
Does a magnet attach to it?

cra61 said:
Does a magnet attach to it?

I tried a fridge magnet and it does not attach to it, no. And I really ran the pro pointer over it and didn't get any hit on that whatsoever.

State Park? You are digging in a state park? I don't know the laws in what ever state you are digging in but I can tell you that if you dig in a state park in North Carolina we'll be sending you cigars in the state pen.

Yes, state parks and some county parks are definitely off limits in WI

staticmap

Some however allow beach access between certain hours.

What part of the country did you find this? You don't have to give the exact location. It would also help to know what model detector you are using and the type of signal. Never forget the old saying, "There's Gold in them there hills".

Crack it open!

I've found rocks like that as well. I just assumed they were run of the mill "hot rocks". What I find interesting is that the only detectors I've found them with were both made by Bouty Hunter. One was an old Red Baron VLF and the other a Tracker IV.

We have dug up a gazillion "hot rocks" here in GA. Ours are agnetite. We can dial our White 808 down so it ignores the hot rocks but our Sierra Madre just goes crazy.

Curious The George said:
State Park? You are digging in a state park? I don't know the laws in what ever state you are digging in but I can tell you that if you dig in a state park in North Carolina we'll be sending you cigars in the state pen.

Amen to that. I found out the hard way while swimming/detecting at Jordan lake that metal detecting is NOT allowed in NC state Parks (although I was not aware the lake is a state park). We were kindly asked to put the detectors in the car or leave. Needless to say I will not make that mistake again!

Thanks for the heads up guys but some PA state parks do indeed allow metal detecting if you ask the park manager for permission. Sorry that your states are not as accommodating.

I did some research and found some pictures of shale that are very similar to the rock I found. Although I can't seem to find evidence of metals being present in shales. I also emailed my local natural history museum to see if they had any thoughts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back