Matching Monday on Long Island, NY

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A fantastic day at Jones Beach on Long Island this morning. Absolutely beautiful, and a lot of folks out early detecting! I counted at least seven Minelabs on the beach, a few Whites, and my Shark! Started off very slow, pulling wire and hooks. As the tide began to lower the clad began to sound off. I was fortunate to meet several fellas this morning, including Joe! Little did I know we would share an interesting experience just an hour later!

I continued to grid the beach from the high tide mark down into the knee-deep water, then back up again. Dug some more garbage, then hit the hoop earring in the water. A few minutes later, Joe and another fella are coming back down the beach, and we stop and talk. While Joe will remember the other fella's name, I was pretty.. well, let's just say I'm forgetful! A-N-Y-W-A-Y, Joe had found the PARTNER to my hoop just up the beach! Freaky! The Exact match. Wow! So while I can't retire yet, it was a priceless day on the beach finding new hunting buds!!

Attachments

• j271.jpg
    j271.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 318
  • j273.jpg
    j273.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 323
  • jones62711.jpg
    jones62711.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Dog gone it Terry. I am pulling for you to find that first gold ring. You seem to be doing everything right, just no gold yet. It will come soon. The only thing I can think of that you are not doing is to say out loud, I will find gold today. Say it several times before you start your hunt. You will find gold. It sounds silly but your mind is made up of electronic signals, and saying outloud what you are after seems to lead you to it. I relic hunt with a married couple. Before each hunt he yells out he is finding all the CW buttons today. She always laughs and says she is finding all the old coins. Everytime he finds all the buttons and she finds all the old coins. Kind of freaky, but it works for them. I have started doing the same thing and three rings in four trips. Good hunt today by the way...HH...Stuart

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coinrings said:
Hi Terry,

Nice meeting you today and yaking a bit. Man you have quite the ride from Westchester!

Bob

Great meeting you to Bob! :headbang: This was my fifth-time out to Jones, and what a beautiful day it was. Really started to get crowded by 12:30, that is when I headed back. See you again soon! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
search and recovery said:
Dog gone it Terry. I am pulling for you to find that first gold ring. You seem to be doing everything right, just no gold yet. It will come soon. The only thing I can think of that you are not doing is to say out loud, I will find gold today. Say it several times before you start your hunt. You will find gold. It sounds silly but your mind is made up of electronic signals, and saying outloud what you are after seems to lead you to it. I relic hunt with a married couple. Before each hunt he yells out he is finding all the CW buttons today. She always laughs and says she is finding all the old coins. Everytime he finds all the buttons and she finds all the old coins. Kind of freaky, but it works for them. I have started doing the same thing and three rings in four trips. Good hunt today by the way...HH...Stuart

Thanks Stuart! :notworthy: I'm going to try it next time! :headbang: :hello2: I'm ready to try ANYTHING! :laughing7: :thumbsup:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Terry does your Shark have an adjustment to speed up the pulse delay? If so, put it at the least pulse delay, if there is no pulse delay adjustment, that may be why you are not finding gold. You need a fast pulse delay, not a slow one, which many PIs had a slow delay, and some have fixed that and got a faster delay. White's did it after Mr Bill at Surfscanner started offering a faster delay tune up for whites surfmasters, then whites built that in with the PI pro.. Both the PI pro and the dual field will find gold good. I have heard the Garretts infinium will find gold too. I have used some Pis and they are not good at much depth on gold jewelry. Check yours out and see. The lower the karat, the worse it is. Also the smaller the ring or chain the worse it is. When you have a slower pulse delay. Last week I was using my Mr Bills modded Whites surfmaster, and I got a deep hit, and a friend was diving with me and could not get it with his Garretts Seahunter PI. It didnt even pick it up. It was loud with mine. After a bunch of digging it was a piece of stainless probably 316, about 10 inches long by 1/2 inch and it was sticking straight down. I did an air test with that one his detector against mine, his had new batts, and mine were a week old, maybe 16 hours of use, and mine had twice the depth on certain things like alloys (gold jewelry, stainless watch, old silver cobs, etc) and mine had more depth on everything. Maybe 2-3 inches better on everything. It(his) would not pick up stainless-good stainless like Monel and 316, and small gold jewelry, small brass swivels at all. If yours wont pick up a small piece of Monel leader wire or a small brass swivel, that might be the problem.

coinrings

Greenie
Mar 30, 2008
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Terry is not alone here at Jones Beach. There just isn't much gold around. There have been a few finds but not how it use to be. After any Sunday you were almost guaranteed a few pieces during the summer months. It's just not the case anymore. Patrons have wised up and do not wear much. When gold was at 300 dollars we were cleaning up, but at 1500 it's mostly plated crap! Silver is even scarce, but like Terry mentioned above, Jones Beach is beautiful and it's great just to be down there strolling around aimlessly. :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Hang in there Terry your turn will come!

Bob

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
coinrings said:
Terry is not alone here at Jones Beach. There just isn't much gold around. There have been a few finds but not how it use to be. After any Sunday you were almost guaranteed a few pieces during the summer months. It's just not the case anymore. Patrons have wised up and do not wear much. When gold was at 300 dollars we were cleaning up, but at 1500 it's mostly plated crap! Silver is even scarce, but like Terry mentioned above, Jones Beach is beautiful and it's great just to be down there strolling around aimlessly. :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Hang in there Terry your turn will come!

Bob

I don't know about NY but here in FL we have "We Buy Gold" shops on every corner and they are busy. None of them have gone out of business since our economy went south. It's hard to wear gold if people have sold it. Yep, hunting is nothing like it use to be in our area as well.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Steve! First, and from my heart, THANK YOU! :notworthy: I have learned a lot from you folks, and I appreciate every piece of advice. Honestly Steve, the reason I'm not finding gold is because I have not gotten the Shark over any yet. :dontknow: One of the very first things I did with my new machine was depth tests at the beach in wet and dry sand. I used my 10K Claddagh ring, and my gals platinum engagement ring, taped to plastic poker chips. I also used a 1-gram gold nugget from Arizona - just for giggles. I am VERY confident that I can hear it if it is there Steve!

I am finally able to predict those tiny slivers of fishing line and hooks, bobbypins and wire. The "whirring," confused signal, popping back and forth from positive to negative threshold breaks is very noticable. Of course, I feel if I don't dig that signal, I will leave a chain behind because a small gold chain at 8" sounds EXACTLY the same! Next time, I'm going to click my heels together three times while chanting, "I will find gold!" :thumbsup:

Attachments

• jba16.jpg
    jba16.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 200

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK, I have never used a Shark, the only Tesoro I have owned was a Stingray, and it was a Tr type, and did have a salt mode, but salt still made it less sensitive-you had to turn it down. But it was good on fine gold in the sand. Yes, you have to get your coil over gold to find it! Glad you tested it and it can find gold. But some PIs just arent made for gold jewelry, yours must be one of the ones that is. Looking at your picture, you will want to take your coil off and straighten out the coil wire, and have it running down the side of your staff. The coiled up wire makes your detector balance out that metal. You want as little metal as possible near the coil. Tape it on, and maybe coil it up near the head and tie wrap it up, or tape it up, never leave any loose as that will set off the detector too. But tape it on straight, and on one side, less water resistance. And you will get that little bit deeper that you seek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread