What's new

Mayan?

bruce

Full Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Messages
224
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Location
northeast indiana
Detector(s) used
MP-5 Pro
Hello there,

Flea Market finds. Asking help on these
I believe they are authentic along with
the persons story behind them. Three
bucks apiece I think it was alright. Seen
where they could be pieces of handles.
Please anyone comments!

Thanks,
Bruce
 

Attachments

  • m1.webp
    m1.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 521
  • m2.webp
    m2.webp
    62.5 KB · Views: 507
  • m3.webp
    m3.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 500
  • m4.webp
    m4.webp
    61.4 KB · Views: 495
  • m5.webp
    m5.webp
    123.4 KB · Views: 509
  • m6.webp
    m6.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 492
  • m7.webp
    m7.webp
    92.1 KB · Views: 482
  • m8.webp
    m8.webp
    112.4 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 0
Do you post on the PROSB board? If so, then show them to Joshua Ream and he can tell you if they are authentic or not since that is what he collects. It really hard to tell with pre columbian artifacts since so much of it is also manufactured recently for sell as tourist items.

If they are real though you got one heck of a deal and they are really cool looking regardless.
 
Thanks Dorkfish,

The looks of them I think yes, but you are right,
do not know the prosb board. Need someone
look at these and that piece that looks like a fish-
hook and a clovis I have and few other relics.
Someday when I can afford.

Bruce
 
Bruce, here's a link to the site. You would probably have to sign up to show them or to ask Joshua to look at the, but it's a nice site with some really good people on it. A lot of folks from here are on there as well.

http://www.prosbb.com/forum/index.php
 
Bruce,

Nice buys, they are ancient Pre-Colombian but probably not Mayan. They could be from any number of locations in central Mexico, but most of them are from around Mexico City. They were (and still are) pretty common finds/tourist items from the big tourist sites or any construction site (Lake Texcoco, Teotihuacan, etc.)

A good buy.

Joshua
(Originally from NE Indiana)
 
Hello there,

Dorkfish thank you very much for your
knowledge and concern for this post.
I am at awe over your picture of your axe.
Goods for the good. Have like it but did not
have the thrill of the find. Joshua thanks for the
response from Dorkfish. Wow I did good can't
help but think of the other whole statues the
man sold at the garage sale earlier in the week.
We all need too be the early bird! Where abouts
In. Josh? Do you think they were handles for
water vessels couple look like for doll heads?
Anyway to be at service let me know.

Thanks,
Bruce
 

Attachments

  • doh.webp
    doh.webp
    73.3 KB · Views: 217
  • dof.webp
    dof.webp
    70.3 KB · Views: 224
Bruce
Not sure, those effigy pieces turn up around here in Tennessee also. Some look good but they are producing tons of fakes in S.America last couple of years. I aquired some things that came out when the canal was built and the pottery tones were reddish. That was a long time ago and the guy that I got them from is passed away. Most local collectors dont really know much about that stuff me either. I have a book on Mayans and toltecs but cant seem to see it in the library.
They were pressed onto the pottery so in time they would be the first to fall off. But those guys that dig down there always tried to get the whole vessel. Its another world of collecting..With very strict laws
Here a couple pictures from that culture.They were in the Time life books 1993? called the Lost civilizations. The magnificent Maya. The one being held was found in the skull of a young girl according to the article.This is all protected by the antiquities laws.
The last picture is one a friend gave me from a store near Nashville. Hope you do not mind me sharing. Great culture they were,,,,,
TnMountains
 

Attachments

  • 100_1422.webp
    100_1422.webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_1423.webp
    100_1423.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_1782.webp
    100_1782.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 193
Bruce, thanks for the comment on my Axe and you are welcome for the help on your post. I figured Joshua would know something about your pieces, so that's why I contacted him. I met him a couple years ago and he is a really good guy and very knowledgeable on Pre Colombian artifacts.

I bought this piece years ago from my brother and he had gotten it and a few other items from a man who had dug in Mexico back in the 40's and 50's. Joshua told me it is the forearm off of a larger statue. It is Zapotec and from the area of Mitla.
 

Attachments

  • Hand05.webp
    Hand05.webp
    84.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Hand06.webp
    Hand06.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Hand03.webp
    Hand03.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Hand02.webp
    Hand02.webp
    74 KB · Views: 182
  • Hand01.webp
    Hand01.webp
    72.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Hand04.webp
    Hand04.webp
    112.3 KB · Views: 177

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom