trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this might be historic but i have no clue
found this today in ohio by a huge indian mound, dont know what it is but seems man made. there is a spring thats start inside it.
last ones a video if u click it.
IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice find, looks like a stone Cairn to me. There are many of these structures throughout the northeast, Va., and Wv. I've found a few myself. Hard to say if it's associated to native Americans or historic white settlers. The ones I've found were all close to springs or spring creeks and other rock formations.

Here's a good site on prehistoric and historic manmade stone structures. There's alot of interesting amerind site reports in this site, and pictures.

http://www.stonestructures.org/html/cairns.html

http://www.stonestructures.org/html/prehistoric_structures.html

awesome thanks, might have to metal detect this one

Interesting that theres a spring starting inside it, Ive seen old spring houses on old farms which they would use the cold water as refridgeration for food. But with a mound nearby who knows, maybe the first Indian refrigerator?! Defiantly need to do more research around it.

Appears hand stacked allright I read somewhere about meat bieng stored under rock piles and what a intresting link I never have understood Americas Stonehenge worthy of a thread by itself to bad it got so molested.

We see them on little year round springs. I think they are to keep debri out and keep the spring flowing. I have also seen one's like that around whiskey sites. would not hurt to look for artifacts or run a metal detector around the area.
Saw your mound post. Probe the humps and see if they are as hard as the flat ground. If they are softer could be a mound or debri piles from ancient loggings. If you have permission a quick test hole will tell you. I did not see any old growth hardwood on them.
Hope you find treasure :thumbsup:

Springs are sacred sites, just like in Europe. Not surprised the mounds are nearby.

TnMountains said:
We see them on little year round springs. I think they are to keep debri out and keep the spring flowing. I have also seen one's like that around whiskey sites. would not hurt to look for artifacts or run a metal detector around the area.
Saw your mound post. Probe the humps and see if they are as hard as the flat ground. If they are softer could be a mound or debri piles from ancient loggings. If you have permission a quick test hole will tell you. I did not see any old growth hardwood on them.
Hope you find treasure :thumbsup:
I have seen a few of these in southern illinois, usually near old homestead sites. Spring houses around here are mostly dug out to make a chamber. So I agree with you TnMountain on the debri protection. You never know though ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back