maybe on the right track bone tool and abalone shell

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted bunch of pics couple days ago of what I thought could have been bone tools. Fortunately got a lot of replies and lots of help pointing me in the right direction.

Here is a couple pics of the possible bone tool. Nice polished look rounded off smoothly as if it had been worked also a couple cut marks that look deliberate possibly marked purposely.

Also found this abalone shell where it really shouldn't be at least at the age it looks. Possibly fossilized I thought it was a silver bowl as it was shining. Found it in a creek 1000 ft above sea level close to the bone in the hills. It is really heavy.

View attachment 1327617 View attachment 1327618 View attachment 1327619 View attachment 1327620 View attachment 1327622

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that looks like it could be a tool mark. Sometimes rodents chew them up too.But they are not uniform so very well could be tool marks.
Any flint flakes in the area?

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TN. I have not found any yet. I am unfortunately a rookie at this time and completely forgot to look for flint flakes. I will next time though. The area is wooded and has a creek. I am trying to get another chance to go look. I appreciate the reply and happy to know I possibly may have found my first bone tool.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe not a popular opinion, but I don't think the bone is a Native America tool. The bone does display cut marks and very well could be from Native American times. It just does not show a level of work that would indicate its use as a tool. Polishing can occur during its time in the water and I don't see polishing from constant use by man. Soups would often be made from the marrow of leg bones like you have and the break pattern is indicative of crushing as a method of extracting marrow.

The abalone shell is certainly out of place and would be a Native American trade item. Shells of that size were often used for adornment, drinking cups or chopping utensils if they were abundant. Yours has two holes so a drinking cup and chopping are not likely. If the two holes are spaced evenly and when oriented towards the top leads to shell balance and uniformity, than it could have been used as a gorget. I would look over the shell closely for any incising or any other indication of use as body ware.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bone does look like those are cut marks on it and the shell is hard to say, but you are in a good spot to be finding those items.:thumbsup:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your going to do great,jamus.just keep putting your time in and you are going to find some good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread