MDing public schools

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
School isn't in session so I tried to md a public school during the day. Gates were open, but a custodian said I wasn't allowed--that I needed to have "official school business". In 6 years this is only the 2nd time I haven't been allowed at a public school(both times were custodians giving me the bad news). Regretfully, I argued with the guy and he finally said it was because of covid-19. I was wondering what others' experiences have been in mding public schools. BTW, I've MD'd schools many, many times and no one has ever said anything(non-school hours, of course, with open gates). Schools have always been my go-to property(especially this school), so I was very disappointed to hear this news.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Check with the school district; if it's forbidden, don't. If it isn't banned, go for it.
Acting 'macho' when confronted on school grounds might get you an unpleasant, unnecessary, and unintended result.
Don.....

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
I checked out a great-looking public school on Google Earth yesterday and drove about 60 miles to get there, only to find it fenced, gated, and locked with a "No trespassing" sign on it. I guess during COVID, you have to be ready for anything.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked permission and was declined, the guy in charge of grounds said no. I like to have permissions on my person in case nosy Naney approaches or cops are called.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread