MDing Schools and Church grounds

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
We are new to THing. Our passions are anything to do with the outdoors rockhounding, prospecting, or just plain roaming the woods for the day and these have led us to MDing.
My question to all that have searched schools and playgrounds or parks. Are there any laws in pennsylvania or must permission be granted by someone. We have so far limited ourselves to old foundations and a few state parks. But I am reading of so many finds in these places and we are near a lot of very old Churches and schools.
Thank you.
Joe and Kathy

CodyCat Borat

Jan 15, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra-50, Whites classic 2
I'm probably the worst person to answer this question. LOL
I like MD, schools, churches and parks. I have found my best stuff at these places.
Are there laws? probably....Theres a federation website that has all the answers or you can call your local town, county, or state office.

http://fmdac.org/

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
I like to get permission before I hunt a school or other private property, public parks are no problem usually, I just make sure I leave them like I found them...minus the trash i throw away, and as a kind of a thank you to churches, if I ever find or found anything I would give the church a donation of like 10%......this also helps to put detectorist in a good light (pastors talk with each other a lot) and may open up other grounds to hun :)

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are the same as private property.
Even though schools usually let people use there tracks ect..you should still ask the principle of the school you want to search just to be safe.
Churches are private property.The church owns the grounds.I would talk to the pastor or talk to the grounds keeper.
Hope this helps....good luck and happy hunting!!!

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
just so you know the laws, i would call your county's parks dept and ask. then you know where you stand if you get questioned.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re-Tek, If a person wants to find out if there might be rules/laws about md'ing, they should just check city code on-line (if the city has a website, for instance). If it is silent on the subject, then consider yourself no different than a kite-flyer or bird-watcher. If, after that, someone that sees you has an issue, they're welcome to tell you. But the law would be on your side, since you did your homework, and nothing was there. I would not call the park's dept. and ask, as you suggest. You know what the easy answer will be: Some deskbound person there will have an image of geeks with shovels, and just tell you "no". Or, they might morph something they think applies, when it really doesn't.

Personally, I wouldn't even go that far, as I just detect city parks and schools, no problem. As far as churches, they're private property. I guess to feel safe, you gotta ask the deacon or pastor :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread