MDing SHOULD be banned in all city, state, and federal parks!

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I have to agree with the no's. MDing should be banned in parks. I visited a park in West Branch last week and found many holes left open that a MDer made. The park in Bay City, where I found a 1882 Indian Head the other day, also had similar holes in it today that were not filled. Someone must have seen me MDing, there, the other day and went home and pulled out the Walmart special because the holes in that park were around the trees that I had already hit and all I left was pulltabs and twist tops. I think it is time to ban MDing in the parks and perhaps have a federal license to detect where one has to pass a course like hunting. Those that kill a deer out of season (leave a hole unfilled) get a $1,000 fine and lose their license to detect permanently. There is nothing worse than to have my tax dollar spent on a nice lawn and gardens only to have some idiot destroy it over a penny!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Seems to me that the reaction to holes should be: "They should not leave holes!", not: "there should be no metal detecting allowed".

I mean, wouldn't it be like seeing a bad driver on the street (weaving, causing accidents, engine making too much exhaust, etc...)? You/we would say "get THAT nut off off the road!". You would NOT say "all driving should be banned!" ??? ??? ::) ::)

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Seems to me that the reaction to holes should be: "They should not leave holes!", not: "there should be no metal detecting allowed".

I mean, wouldn't it be like seeing a bad driver on the street (weaving, causing accidents, engine making too much exhaust, etc...)? You/we would say "get THAT nut off off the road!". You would NOT say "all driving should be banned!" ??? ??? ::) ::)

No, you would say "pull that guy's license to drive." None of us really want to see a requirement for licensing, but I would perhaps accept having to be logged in so that I'm accountable if I leave a mess, as an alternative to being banned altogether. No testing, no excessive licensing fees -- just accountability. Any thoughtless idiot can buy a metal detector and the bulk of them never appear on this forum. But they're out there.

scrubber

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I'd hate to see the Feds control all detecting, they might have years in prison for any violations & seize everything you own. Federal licenses for *National* parks & forests would be OK.

Cities should have the rights to create their own permit systems if necessary.

Oakland, CA had an interesting idea. Many years ago I heard they had a permit system that was $75(?) a year, an outrageous sum for an individual. But you could join the detecting club for much less than that, be taught to dig neat, then your name would be added to the club members permit, which I think may have cost $75 for the entire group??

Omaha, NE last I heard was apply in person, fill out form, pay $1 and receive wallet card ID permit with treasures hunters code of ethics, plus a city map showing all the parks. HH, George (MN)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I'd object to a $75 a year license, but the $1 license in Omaha sounds good because they get instructions, & their name, address & phone # is on file, so that encourages neatness. Of course, no permit is fine if a city isn't having any problems. If people read their detecting manual, most have something like the treasure hunters code of ethics in there. HH, George (MN)

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, even with some accountability, the biggest problem is figuring out who made the mess. Two or more of you have logged in to be there at a given time, but who did the damage? No one can be watching all of you every second.

Maybe enforced education is part of it. I know people who think they're being responsible, but 2 weeks later, their digs are all showing. Extracting finds with minimal impact is really an art. Few beginners know the best methods.

One other thing. I never dig large holes in a well-groomed park. I've found it's just not worth the risk of damage.

scrubber

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To begin with, you don't outlaw detectors in all parks, or require a license just because you found a few holes, that you think "might" have been left from a couple hunters.

I use to think someone was leaving holes in a county park I hunted here. One day when I went to hunt and found new holes again all over the place. I found a ranger and talked to him to be sure they knew it wasn't me, ranger said don't worry about it, the holes were left by raccoons. It turns out ever so often the coons would hit the park looking for grubs. Holes look just like someone was detecting.

The last thing you want is to have Federal Government get involved in licensing detectors and another tax to pay. When have you ever known anything the government became involved' involving licenses and laws getting better. The laws they impose will go a lot farther in restricting hunting all over, not just a few parks.

It is already against the law to hunt any National Park, and most State Parks...... I pay tax dollars too and I have as much right to those parks as anyone playing fresbie playing ball or walking their dog or anything else.

A lot more of our tax money is wasted on the politicians salary, that don't even show up to a vote on a bill, they is ever wasted on sod....

seinohio

Greenie
Jun 22, 2007
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i,F75
Today I returned to a site that I detected over a week ago. To my dismay, I say a line of holes that another detectorist left---I know it was a detectorist because I saw him at it last week, although I did not know at the time he was making such holes. Now, after talking with the person last week, I found out he was 87 years old. So, perhaps he had limitations, but the site's supervisor will not know that. And, the ground is very dry---it looks like he make good size holes and tried to put back at least some of the contents, but the mower literally sucked everything back out. At first I thought of informing the site manager so I would not be blamed, but settled on suggesting they should not allow any other detecting until after it rains. I tried to fill-in the worst holes but there was nothing to fill them in with---sure hope the site personnel don't see the holes for some time.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
seinohio said:
Today I returned to a site that I detected over a week ago. To my dismay, I say a line of holes that another detectorist left---I know it was a detectorist because I saw him at it last week, although I did not know at the time he was making such holes. Now, after talking with the person last week, I found out he was 87 years old. So, perhaps he had limitations, but the site's supervisor will not know that. And, the ground is very dry---it looks like he make good size holes and tried to put back at least some of the contents, but the mower literally sucked everything back out. At first I thought of informing the site manager so I would not be blamed, but settled on suggesting they should not allow any other detecting until after it rains. I tried to fill-in the worst holes but there was nothing to fill them in with---sure hope the site personnel don't see the holes for some time.

It is the sport of the hobby to dig holes in turf that was not meant to be damaged. Some of us fill in the holes and put the clog on top so that it does not show that we dug a hole in the turf. That is the responsible thing to do. Just because we pay taxes does not give us the right to go to the local school and throw rocks through the windows (destroy property). That property was put there for everyone's use not just the selfish us. Whether we want to face facts or not, if we do not come up with an education and a licensing plan, we all will be banned from utilizing our hobby on any public land in the future. We have gun permits to carry why not have some sort of license to insure responsibility? The park officials can check to see your permit and the licensing fee will go to improving the park.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arizonaames said:
I have to agree with the no's. MDing should be banned in parks. I visited a park in West Branch last week and found many holes left open that a MDer made. The park in Bay City, where I found a 1882 Indian Head the other day, also had similar holes in it today that were not filled. Someone must have seen me MDing, there, the other day and went home and pulled out the Walmart special because the holes in that park were around the trees that I had already hit and all I left was pulltabs and twist tops. I think it is time to ban MDing in the parks and perhaps have a federal license to detect where one has to pass a course like hunting. Those that kill a deer out of season (leave a hole unfilled) get a $1,000 fine and lose their license to detect permanently. There is nothing worse than to have my tax dollar spent on a nice lawn and gardens only to have some idiot destroy it over a penny!

seinohio said:

in cases like this take 2 Minutes out of
your schedule to introduce yoursef,
explain your concern & Invite him to
join TreasureNet.

JEFF

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seinohio said:

If he can dig the holes, he can cover them up properly.

I agree with Jeff, if you see someone, talk to them explain the problems they cause by not covering the holes. If he/they want listen, or get beligerent, then I would report them to a park employee, advising them of what they are doing and that you would like them to warn them so there are not further problems.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe more need to learn . maybe esucating detectorist might be a better option .

Metal Detectorist's Code of Ethics

1. Always check federal, state, county and local laws before searching. It is your responsibility to "know the law."

2. Abide by all laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern your search and the area you will be in.

3. Never trespass. Always obtain permission prior to entering private property, mineral claims, or underwater salvage leases.

4. Do not damage, deface, destroy, or vandalize any property, including ghost towns and deserted structures, and never tamper with any equipment at the site.

5. Never litter. Always pack out what you take in and remove all trash dug in your search.

6. Fill all holes, regardless how remote the location. Never dig in a way that will damage, be damaging to, or kill any vegetation.

7. Do not build fires, camp at or park in non-designated or restricted areas.

8. Leave all gates and other accesses to land as found.

9. Never contaminate wells, creeks, or any other water supplies.

10. Be courteous, considerate, and thoughtful at all times.

11. Report the discovery of any items of historic significance to the local historical society or proper authorities.

12. Uphold all finders, search and salvage agreements.

13. Promote responsible historical research and artifact recovery and the sharing of knowledge with others.

maybe education not irrate people an fines would make things a little better .... but then again I've been wrong before .

Attachments

• Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 3,685

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To err is human, if you want to really screw it up, involve the government. I dig mainly at the beach. No plugs to worry about, and it takes 2 seconds to fill a hole.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
To err is human, if you want to really screw it up, involve the government. I dig mainly at the beach. No plugs to worry about, and it takes 2 seconds to fill a hole.

What part of Florida you in? I looking for another hunting partner In central Florida (Orlando). Mine get tied up with "honey dos" and can't go many times when I want to go.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am up in the Panhandle. With tourist season ending, I'm going to have to find other places to hunt. Just got a used Tiger Shark, so I can at least extend my season a bit.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
I am up in the Panhandle. With tourist season ending, I'm going to have to find other places to hunt. Just got a used Tiger Shark, so I can at least extend my season a bit.

Darn I guess getting together for a weekend beach hunt might be a little hard to do....We would have to meet in Live Oak or something?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe get together one day and search for some of that Steinhatchee River booty ;D

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
I say if you dig,, em fill,, em ,, If they get uncoverd by animals or the lawn mower ,,, let the park monkeys (helpers),, fill them in ,,thats what they get paid for!!!!!! we pay their wages!!!!!!!

thats all!!!

arthur

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
GibH said:
To err is human, if you want to really screw it up, involve the government.

Nothing truer has been stated in this thread then the one above.

Guys, I'm pretty new around here, but having been around the block in government and law enforcement and could fill volumes with life experiences, but the absolute worst thing you can do is involve government in any form of regulation. Government historically either does nothing at all or over regulates to the point of ruin and the citizen has no real say in the matter.

What sometimes starts off with the best of intentions quickly becomes mutated into just another source of revenue for the governing body. And it's much more cost effective to prohibit then to regulate unless hefty fees can be levied in sufficient quantities. That is the sad bottom line people.

The quickest way to loose your rights is to invite regulation in any shape or form. Do you think the Grand Canyon was formed in one day? No, it took a long time, but it started with just one drop of water. American civil rights are being eroded each and every day all across this country mostly by politicians looking to make a name for them selves, the average citizen that had the best of intention at heart; like the one that started a tread topic like this one, or by plain and simple greed, jealousy can also play a role to much extent of the time.

All you need is some liberal in government to read this and put the bug in their ear and next thing you know they are typing up some new bill or ordnance to submit because you need to be saved from yourself.

IS THIS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO INVITE INTO YOUR HOBBY?

Sorry, I am just really disappointed to see someone that enjoys this hobby is making waves that could effect everyone for just a couple isolated incidents. If it honestly bothers you that much or you think it is that much of an issue, please take it upon yourself to fill the holes in, that would be the responsible thing to do.

If you should consider doing that, I thank you and you have my sincere admiration.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread