ME AGAIN - THOUGHTS ABOUT SOME COINS - THANKS

alexmun

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been looking at several auctions and sales in the Internet from different retailers. I am very happy with your answers to my past inquiry and would like to "pick your brains and knowledge" again, in order to ask you if these look legit. I am aware that from a picture it is very difficult to assess coins, but I believe that with your experience, maybe I'll learn one or two things and little by little gain more experience when pursuing cobs. I'm also reading a lot more and looking for an un-expensive Colombian (Nuevo Reino I believe) cob to buy if there were one.... For now, these:

01.1.jpg

01.jpg

02.1.jpg

02.jpg

03.1.jpg

03.jpg

Even if they are not good, I'll learn from them as I can use them as a reference as to why don't they look good. That Way I'll be training my eye and gut. Thanks to all.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For starters, many cobs have no readable denomination. A weak indicator of their denomination is their diameter. A much stronger indicator is their weight. From the beginning and to the year 1728, the standard weight for an 8R coin was 27.468 grams. The four, two, one and one half R were of proportionately less eight.
Don......

OP
OP
A

alexmun

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much. Will take this under consideration.

For starters, many cobs have no readable denomination. A weak indicator of their denomination is their diameter. A much stronger indicator is their weight. From the beginning and to the year 1728, the standard weight for an 8R coin was 27.468 grams. The four, two, one and one half R were of proportionately less eight.
Don......

Thank you very much for your kind reply. Greetings from Barranquilla, Colombia. Sadly not much treasure hunting down here, I have to rely on sellers and auctions. Ay thoughts on the coins above depicted.

The first one, 2 reales is 5.86 g
The second one 1/2 real 1.53 g

The group are from left to right:

No. 1- 6,87 gr.
No. 2- 6,58 gr.
No. 3- 6,79 gr.
No.4- 6,85 gr.
No. 5- 6,68 gr.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything that would make me doubt their authenticity.
Bottom group, nice pieces...
From top row left to right (Toledo Mint Philip III then Seville late 1590s? then Seville 1612 to 1622
Bottom row...1st piece CLUELESS, then Sevilla Philip IV.
Nice pieces...gonna look for the one with poor markings
Trez

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
provenance is good indicator,
weight is a very good indicator,
edges,
and of course, the price.

note: when you photograph coins (or other artefacts), always flip them on the Y axis, (not X axis) and be consistent in scale. Coins shown in guides (and for sale) images showing object and reverse, are always flipped over on the Y axis. (even if shown over/under each other)

blank-y-axis-cartesian-coordinate-plane-numbers-white-background-vector-illustration-99972507.jpg Carlos_III_Coin.jpg

Attachments

• silver_dollar_pieces.png
    silver_dollar_pieces.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread