Meager finds today and a question

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Searched for about 45 minutes today and found 3 clad quarters, clad nickle and 3 clad pennies. I did find 2 keepers a 1944 Wheat and a 1952 Roosevelt...silver is always nice.
Saturday I plan on hunting, with my uncle, a church where the official civil war records say that the union camped there for 2 days. My uncle has researched it for awhile...I hope it pays off.

For any DFX users (JERDFX)...any suggestions for settings so that I can maximize finding relics as well as coins? Thanks in advance.

-Daniel

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your keepers Daniel!

Good luck to you and your Uncle on that new spot!!!

;)

R

rb

great finds.. I dont think any find is meager, but great... HH RB

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Daniel,
We all have to learn the lingo when we start something new. Just so you know, clad coins are those with one kind of metal sandwiched between another (1965 and later dimes, quarters, halves and Ike & SBA (Susan B Anthony) dollars).

Congrats on those finds. Finding a silver dime is always nice.

You should like the DFX. I have an XLT that I love and one day I may upgrade to the DFX.

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
nice finds. Good luck at the new site. Don't know anything about DFX other that a lot of people like them. My only suggestion is to go slow and dig it all. Don't use too much Discrimination.

HH

Tim

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Daniel. Take the eeprom high pro program on the unit and load it up. Go to the adj and put the vol at 63 threshold at 10. Put the a.c sence up to 85. Sweep speed at 7. Recovery speed 28 pre amp at 4 and run best data and tone i.d on. A few of these might already be on those numbers. Just double check it. Double ground balance the unit after all these changes.

If you get into any trouble use the a.c sence to calm the unit down. Put it down to 78. Hunt for five minutes and see how it is. If it calms down try cranking it up another number or two. If that doesn't help put pre amp at 3. If all else fails put the a.c sence down to 55. It will be fine there.

The reason I tell you all this because I have know idea of your ground mineralization. Everyone's is different and you can't run it too hot every where. I can here but your conditions may be different.

Do everything I told you in the first paragraph. If it seems o.k stay with it. It will be juiced up for that hunt. If not just play with it some till it calms down. Your trying to find out how hot you can run it without it being unstable.

Good Luck

Don't get discouraged. It may seem weird for awhile but it's good.

HH Jer

OP
OP
D

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
JerDfx said:
Nice finds Daniel. Take the eeprom high pro program on the unit and load it up. Go to the adj and put the vol at 63 threshold at 10. Put the a.c sence up to 85. Sweep speed at 7. Recovery speed 28 pre amp at 4 and run best data and tone i.d on. A few of these might already be on those numbers. Just double check it. Double ground balance the unit after all these changes.

If you get into any trouble use the a.c sence to calm the unit down. Put it down to 78. Hunt for five minutes and see how it is. If it calms down try cranking it up another number or two. If that doesn't help put pre amp at 3. If all else fails put the a.c sence down to 55. It will be fine there.

The reason I tell you all this because I have know idea of your ground mineralization. Everyone's is different and you can't run it too hot every where. I can here but your conditions may be different.

Do everything I told you in the first paragraph. If it seems o.k stay with it. It will be juiced up for that hunt. If not just play with it some till it calms down. Your trying to find out how hot you can run it without it being unstable.

Good Luck

Don't get discouraged. It may seem weird for awhile but it's good.

HH Jer

Thanks Jer; I am printing this out now as my go by. I'm glad you mentioned the detector getting unstable. This has happended before and I thought it was somesort of glitch or malfunction. I'll test it out some before Saturday. Thank you again for your expertise on the subject.

-Daniel

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
No problem. I hope it works out and you like it. I didn't want to confuse you so I just gave you a quick basic program that would be easy for you to do. I use the same program but do a few more things to it. There is one very tricky part on the dfx. But it also is one of the more important adj.

It's the block edit disc edit. I's really tricky to set if your unsure of it. But if I rememebr right it's already set up pretty deep. Like -20 to plus 95. You don't want to use alot of disc. The deeper you can accept into the negative numbers the deeper the unit will go. You can leave that part alone for right now.

It will also get unstable to. Unless you are in ideal conditions. I like mine down to minus 40 and everything else cranked up. It;s a machine you have to spend alot of time on. It also helps to know someone or use the dfxonly web site also.

This was my 1000th post. It feals good to get it helping someone out.

Best of Luck

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread