Measurement tool find

Rob-n-Texas

Jan 3, 2009
Round Rock TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I found these this morning and at a garage sale. The lady didnt know what they were. I bought all 3 items for 5 bucks not knowing what they were or the value but when on instincts... ???...Well I know the slide rule, and the scales look old, not sure what they are used for...and the last item i have no idea. Anybody know what these items are and there worth?

002-14.jpg

003-11.jpg

005-9.jpg

007-7.jpg

This sticker is blocking the info on the scales...not sure if i should peel it off..It may ruin the print..
006-7.jpg

cesarnono13

Jun 25, 2010
Azusa, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 250
what you have sir, is an equal beam scale. you would hang it from the ring on top then attach the pans and then on one side put the weighted pieces that you have and match the opposite side with the appropriate amount to balance it. these were very commonly used to measure opium and I have a great suspicion that this one might have been used for that! The big giveaway is that the conversion chart has all of the appropriate conversions that one would need to administer or "cut" opium from its grain form to a liquid. the pans may have some residue left on them unless they were properly cleaned. in either case, im sure they are worh some cash. nice find!

S

stefen

The last item is a proportional divider...used by draftsmen to scale an image up or down proportunately.

I have an exact duplicate that I used many years ago...

Value today is between $300 to $400...

Attachments

• prop div -2.jpg
    prop div -2.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 431

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Could also be used by a pharmacists as the measurements listed are apothecary (medical/pharmacy) and are not used much today...it has been almost entirely replaced by metric system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread