Medal and ID needed

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok found this 20 years ago. No one has ever properly ID it. Lots of speculation of what it is but no real ID as far as I am concerned. You guys are great at IDing stuff so here it is.
Oh and it was found in an area that had Rev war through Civil war. A fort located in Portsmouth VA.
I have always thought the Paramid was a target in the water so maybe it's like a shore battery artillery Medal.

Attachments

• p1090877.jpg
    p1090877.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 286
  • p1090878.jpg
    p1090878.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 292
  • p1090877.jpg
    p1090877.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 281
  • p1090878.jpg
    p1090878.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 280

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a tough one. I'm still looking.................

Brian

Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's Pyramid of Honor medals. But they don't look like these.

Brian

Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
This looks like it could be a pyramid on water, especially with the flag on it, much like the pyramid buoys used in sailing races. The cannons could represent cannons on a boat. There is a sailing award called the Lexington Cannon. I don't know what it is or looks like.

Also...the stripes on the buoy(?) may represent the finish line for sailing events. I think this is a nautical award.

Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cheese said:
This looks like it could be a pyramid on water, especially with the flag on it, much like the pyramid buoys used in sailing races. The cannons could represent cannons on a boat. There is a sailing award called the Lexington Cannon. I don't know what it is or looks like.

Also...the stripes on the buoy(?) may represent the finish line for sailing events. I think this is a nautical award.

You know I think your on to something there.....

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's obviously an artillery marksmanship medal for a cannoneer that fires at water targets, but what branch of the military and the age I haven't a clue. Monty

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
An apparently identical badge (maybe yours) is identified as follows in the March 1993 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures:

"According to military insignia author Leon W. Laframboise, this is an authorized Coast Artillery first class gunner's badge of the type issued between 1903 and 1908. A special qualification course was held each year to determine first class gunners in both Field Artillery and Coast Artillery. Badges were then awarded, with the recipient's name [to be] engraved on the suspension bar at the top. The company and company number were to be stamped on the reverse of the bar."

Mr. Laframboise, who passed away some time ago, was an extremely knowledgeable and highly respected researcher and collector. I had the pleasure of speaking with him a few times. I have all three of his books on insignia, and have always found them very informative and reliable.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread