What's new

Medal and ID needed

ReidMan

Full Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
238
Reaction score
116
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok found this 20 years ago. No one has ever properly ID it. Lots of speculation of what it is but no real ID as far as I am concerned. You guys are great at IDing stuff so here it is.
Oh and it was found in an area that had Rev war through Civil war. A fort located in Portsmouth VA.
I have always thought the Paramid was a target in the water so maybe it's like a shore battery artillery Medal.
 

Attachments

  • p1090877.webp
    p1090877.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 309
  • p1090878.webp
    p1090878.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 301
  • p1090877.webp
    p1090877.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 298
  • p1090878.webp
    p1090878.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 303
Man that's a tough one. I'm still looking.................

Brian
 
Upvote 0
There's Pyramid of Honor medals. But they don't look like these.

Brian
 
Upvote 0
This looks like it could be a pyramid on water, especially with the flag on it, much like the pyramid buoys used in sailing races. The cannons could represent cannons on a boat. There is a sailing award called the Lexington Cannon. I don't know what it is or looks like.

Also...the stripes on the buoy(?) may represent the finish line for sailing events. I think this is a nautical award.
 
Upvote 0
cheese said:
This looks like it could be a pyramid on water, especially with the flag on it, much like the pyramid buoys used in sailing races. The cannons could represent cannons on a boat. There is a sailing award called the Lexington Cannon. I don't know what it is or looks like.

Also...the stripes on the buoy(?) may represent the finish line for sailing events. I think this is a nautical award.

You know I think your on to something there.....
 
Upvote 0
Well, it's obviously an artillery marksmanship medal for a cannoneer that fires at water targets, but what branch of the military and the age I haven't a clue. Monty
 
Upvote 0
An apparently identical badge (maybe yours) is identified as follows in the March 1993 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures:

"According to military insignia author Leon W. Laframboise, this is an authorized Coast Artillery first class gunner's badge of the type issued between 1903 and 1908. A special qualification course was held each year to determine first class gunners in both Field Artillery and Coast Artillery. Badges were then awarded, with the recipient's name [to be] engraved on the suspension bar at the top. The company and company number were to be stamped on the reverse of the bar."

Mr. Laframboise, who passed away some time ago, was an extremely knowledgeable and highly respected researcher and collector. I had the pleasure of speaking with him a few times. I have all three of his books on insignia, and have always found them very informative and reliable.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom