Button I.D Help...Military? Royal??

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody...I have this button that is about the size of a U.S.Quarter...it reads:viribus unitis 1848 F R Joseph 1(franz joseph the 1st),can't remember the latin(?)...all united?,anyway i'd like to know if it was a military or royal. on the button eagle is holding a sword&septer(military?),opposed to the ones w/septer+orb.recessed,rolled over back,think the outer is silver? Any help will be greatly appreciated,thank's!!!

Attachments

• 2 469.jpg
    2 469.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 637
  • 2 470.jpg
    2 470.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 579
  • 2 471.jpg
    2 471.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 540

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Francis Joseph (1830-1916) was emperor of Austria and king of Hungary. He was the last noteworthy ruler of the Hapsburg Empire.

Your button looks period... it certainly could have been used for either civilian use or military...

I'll keep looking. Below is his crest and a few pics of his mug.

a.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Francis Joseph (1830-1916) was emperor of Austria and king of Hungary. He was the last noteworthy ruler of the Hapsburg Empire.

Your button looks period... it certainly could have been used for either civilian use or military...

Thank You,i beleive it is period...but do you really think a"civilian" wore this?if so must have been a pretty fancy coat/jacket!,got it in Westfeild,NY.antique shop 15yrs.ago(so it wasn't dug!)wish i had ALBERTS or TICES book!

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I might be wrong, but, I'm thinking a commemerative button...

It may in fact be a government coat button, but I have no idea... I looked for a long time online.

Upvote 0

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a modern blazer button to me. I found one very similar to it a few years ago.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiros32 said:
Looks like a modern blazer button to me. I found one very similar to it a few years ago.
Got a pic?,i'm pretty sure it's NOT modern...Thanks for input!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
The 1848 date was the year he first became Emperor of Austria.
Correct!...Beause of that MontanaJim(?)may be onto something(commemrative)...

Upvote 0

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:

Here it is. It is modeled after a 1780 Austrian Thaler coin, its similar to yours, but definitely not the same button. Hope yours is an oldie!!!!

Attachments

• blazerbutton.jpg
    blazerbutton.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 440
  • blazerbutton.jpg
    blazerbutton.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kiros32 said:

Agree. Modern civilian coat button.

I have one, too. Found it in my parents front yard (built 1959).

I'm guessing it is from the 1960's or 70's.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiros32 said:
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:

Here it is. It is modeled after a 1780 Austrian Thaler coin, its similar to yours, but definitely not the same button. Hope yours is an oldie!!!!
Thank You...I DO BELEIVE mine is from the era on button of mine...was from a button collection of a woman who had collected for 80+yrs.all higher end stuff,not that that proves it's old but...I've added some closer(i hope!)pics...red color is refection.

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 348
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Montana Jim said:

Are you sure that is not TreasureNet Thaddeus?

Looks Close...

TreasureNet Thaddeus Says Stop Bringing Up Two-Year-Old Threads.jpg

Attachments

• TreasureNet Thaddeus Says Stop Bringing Up Two-Year-Old Threads.jpg
    TreasureNet Thaddeus Says Stop Bringing Up Two-Year-Old Threads.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tokenhead, Obviously you can think whatever you want to think about the button. We're trying to help you out here--and you posted in "What is it?" asking for help.

So take it or leave it--but my money is on the "Modern Blazer Button" ID.

-Buckles

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt said:
Kiros32 said:

Agree. Modern civilian coat button.

I have one, too. Found it in my parents front yard (built 1959).

I'm guessing it is from the 1960's or 70's.

DCMatt
DCMatt you KNOW i cherish&respect your knowledge your right about Kiros32 button it IS a modern blazer button,NOT mine! as alway's,your knowledge is ALWAYS appreciated!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Tokenhead, Obviously you can think whatever you want to think about the button. We're trying to help you out here--and you posted in "What is it?" asking for help.

So take it or leave it--but my money is on the "Modern Blazer Button" ID.

-Buckles
I meant no DISRESPECT to anybody who has commented...yes i did post looking for help&I.D.I'm not disrespecting anybody's input,just replying w/my thought's,Hey it's only a button!,so if i gave off a disrepectful vibe I APPOLIGIZE,I love this site&am here ONLY to help&get help w/my pile of junk...

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:

Thank You...I DO BELEIVE mine is from the era on button of mine...was from a button collection of a woman who had collected for 80+yrs.all higher end stuff,not that that proves it's old but...I've added some closer(i hope!)pics...red color is refection.
Generally it would be very unusual to produce a coin button with a date similar or near to the time of construction. In simple terms would you wear a 2008 nickle as a button? Not very appealing or fashionable. Much better to copy a 'classic' coin from old, much more of a conversation piece. The idea also stems from when things like Georgian coins were drilled in the Victorian period to make actually coin/buttons. They were not drilled in the Georgian period when the coins had more value & were less worn. Also the Georgians/Victorians copied Roman Coins like Nero for buttons.

Forgetting all of that & looking at the construction gives it away as a 20th century blazer button.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:
tokenhead said:
Kiros32 said:

Generally it would be very unusual to produce a coin button with a date similar or near to the time of construction. In simple terms would you wear a 2008 nickle as a button? Not very appealing or fashionable. Much better to copy a 'classic' coin from old, much more of a conversation piece. The idea also stems from when things like Georgian coins were drilled in the Victorian period to make actually coin/buttons. They were not drilled in the Georgian period when the coins had more value & were less worn. Also the Georgians/Victorians copied Roman Coins like Nero for buttons.

Forgetting all of that & looking at the construction gives it away as a 20th century blazer button.
Based on your info. i LEAN corrected,it's a blazer button! not military/royal...Thank's so much for your input!,early or late 20th.century? i would give it to ANY button collector if needed...Thank's all!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread