Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok everyone, I know this is not an exciting find. It’s basically trash. BUT - the word “Melrath” does not appear anywhere on Treasurenet (until this post), So the reason I am posting this is to improve the knowledge base of Treasurenet. (And because I like solving mysteries like this one).

This is a Melrath Sealtite gasket from the 1930’s. I found it at a new site I’m exploring that appears on our area’s 1853 map. There’s a cellar hole in the woods, but so far in 2 trips I’ve found nothing worth keeping - and I’m a little discouraged, honestly.

But this gasket did come out of the ground and maybe at least posting this will help someone else that comes across one of these Melrath gaskets in the future.

The gasket says “to open use wrench” and “SEALTITE” and “Melrath Supply & Gasket Co” and “US & for(eign) Patents Pend”.
From the patent application it looks like it’s from around 1935 or 1936.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615928516.236628.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615928527.287628.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615928536.640039.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615928544.210596.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615928553.531399.jpg

Upvote 4

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
You know what’s really weird, I found one of those yesterday about a foot down in my buddy’s farm field ( permission) it’s even in the same condition. It sounded like a silver half dollar and boy was I bummed when that popped out. I think it’s still in my truck, they should be outlawed /:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Brianc, that must have blown your headphones off.
I was using my new XP Deus (maybe my fourth time using it), and I had been in the woods for maybe 90 minutes with only iron signals (or iron that tricked me by having non-iron sounding signals mixed in), so I was happy to just hear a clean, high, repeatable two-direction tone.

I was so concerned that I was not using the Deus correctly in the woods near the 1800's homesite that I walked over to a nearby soccer field to make sure I could find some clad. I found two dimes within 5 minutes no problem, assuring me that if there had been something like that in the woods (I was hoping for at least an Indian Head Penny) and if my detector had passed over it I would have noticed it.
I'm not sure if I'm going back to this site; there are plenty of other good (better) ones to hit...

- Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread