Melted my cons an got this but looks to be gold stuck all over bottom of stirring rod

budzag

Greenie
Aug 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, well i finally got around to melting my cons using a little copper as the collector. Now my problem is the copper hasn't fully fused with the gold ect so has sort of formed little blobs
at the bottom i used a peice of a steel bar as a stirring rod and just left it in the crucible now it looks to have gold plated the end of the rod haha is there any way to get this off? maybe re melt and just leave the rod
in for longer will the gold fall off and sink to the bottom? add more borax ect to thin the charge? any help will be much appreciated

1 (2).jpg rod.jpg

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kind of an interesting looking creation you have going there! I don't have a clue how to fix that.

OP
OP
B

budzag

Greenie
Aug 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of an interesting looking creation you have going there! I don't have a clue how to fix that.

Haha yes it is. Maybe i should just gold plate the steel rod seems to work well :laughing7: I am actually thinking i didn't thin the mixture down enough or get fully to temp might have a crack at re melting and add more borax :icon_scratch:

utahvikingr

Nov 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send me a message, I’m a professional assayer. I’ve got a couple tricks for ya

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread