Memorial Day 2022......

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Been MIA from the forums as we wrap up Hurricane Michael repairs finally.

Time again for my annual Memorial Day weekend post.......

As we all set about getting to where we are going this Memorial Day weekend, with the freedom to celebrate as we wish, let’s take a minute to remember the cost of that freedom. Since 19 April 1775 when the “Colonists” entered into war with Britain, approximately 1,354,664 plus “Americans” have given their lives for this nation, with an additional 40,031 still unaccounted for, so in reality that number is approximately 1,394,695 plus. That number does not include the number of innocent civilians killed by terrorist attacks, or as collateral damage.

These Americans have come in all colors, races, religions, and sexes, some hadn’t even become US citizens yet, but died for us, so I considered them to be Americans just the same. Some of us know someone who was killed fighting for and defending this freedom. Whether it was a long ago or recent relative, neighbor, coworker, parent, child, etc, we are not immune to the price paid.

Think about it, over 1.3 Million Americans have shed their blood, dying on domestic and foreign battlefields. Battlefields the world over are stained by American blood. Some of those heroes still lay undiscovered where they fell. As in the past, today we have families that have an empty seat at the table and for them family gatherings will never be the same. For a lot of them Memorial Day is spent gathering around a gravesite sharing stories of their “Hero” while shedding tears. In reality they are not just their heroes, they should be and are our heroes also. For them Memorial Day isn't a once a year event, for them it's a daily event.

So regardless of where or how you spend your “Hard Earned” 3 day weekend, remember the price paid, how many lives lost before they really started. Remember FREEDOM is not FREE, and has been paid for by those who loved us, loved this country, and loved life, the same life they gave for us.

The battle for freedom is never truly over, let their sacrifices not be forgotten, let the price of freedom not be forgotten, let them not be forgotten.

May God bless our nation and those who have protected it to their last breath. Everyone have a great and safe Memorial Day weekend, and remember to take a moment of silence to reflect upon the price paid for that freedom and to remember and thank those whom paid for this holiday with their lives, America’s war dead!

A few poems come to mind....

Soldier

I was that which others did not want to be.
I went where others feared to go,
And did what others failed to do.

I asked nothing from those who gave nothing,
And reluctantly accepted the thought
Of eternal loneliness should I fail.

I have seen the face of terror,
Felt the stinging cold of fear,
And enjoyed the sweet taste of a moment’s love.

I have, cried, pained and hoped,
But most of all, I have lived times
Others would say were best forgotten.

At least someday I will be able to say
That I was proud of what I was…
A Soldier.

By George L. Skypeck,

The Crosses Grow On Anzio

Oh, gather ’round me, comrades; and
listen while I speak
Of a war, a war, a war where hell is
six feet deep.
Along the shore, the cannons roar. Oh
how can a soldier sleep?
The going’s slow on Anzio. And hell is
six feet deep.

Praise be to God for this captured sod that
rich with blood does seep.
With yours and mine, like butchered
swine’s; and hell is six feet deep.
That death awaits there’s no debate;
no triumph will we reap.
The crosses grow on Anzio, where hell is
six feet deep.

-Audie Murphy, 1948

In Flanders Field

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae – 1872-1918

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Memorial Day Vs Veterans Day Vs Arm forces Day.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post T_H
I was surprised at the number of people who didn't know the difference. (Not talking about forum)

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I was surprised at the number of people who didn't know the difference. (Not talking about forum)
Tell me, I constantly get the "Thank you, for your service" line during Memorial Day. I say thank you, but remind them that the purpose of the holiday is to remember those who made the unlimited sacrifice.

My day comes in November........

Hence when I make my Memorial Day post, I keep mentioning sacrifices so people who don't know the difference will hopefully get it.

BTW as an additional note, TH thank you for your service, and for the graphic, I saved it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me, I constantly get the "Thank you, for your service" line during Memorial Day. I say thank you, but remind them that the purpose of the holiday is to remember those who made the unlimited sacrifice.

My day comes in November........

Hence when I make my Memorial Day post, I keep mentioning sacrifices so people who don't know the difference will hopefully get it.

BTW as an additional note, TH thank you for your service, and for the graphic, I saved it.
I know what you mean, but I don't correct them, I just say thank you. When I was discharged (1967-1971) and even while still in the military no one thanked us for our service, I was not spat on like many, but there was animosity towards vets because of the Viet Nam war.

I made a point of always thanking those who came after me, when I saw a serviceman in a bar I bought him a drink, in the old days military could drink while in uniform off base, in about 2008 that was changed, and now you can't wear your duty uniform at movie theaters, exotic dance clubs, or during any other recreational or leisure pursuits and I think that is a mistake, military servicemen have earned the right to wear that uniform with pride.

To this day I say thank you to every veteran I see when I pass them......

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I've heard it said the true hero's never came home. It is this time I put my thoughts to the ones who were in mine and wife's ancestry. I grew up hearing that they wished I could've known my great uncle Bobby, but sadly he climbed aboard a B17 called Spare Ball in Polebrook England and dropped bombs on a rail yard across the channel. On his return the Germans caught up to Spare Ball and shot it full of holes it seems as his aircraft must of sustained damage from possible flak and fell behind. I was given his short sorter which was signed by various names. The last four or so names were all on the crew of the B17 Spare Ball and may very well have been the last piece of anything they ever pen'd their names to. The following is a report of what the other crews of the 351st-511th believe they witnessed on the final day of B17 Spare Ball and my great uncle 2nd LT Robert Persian Cooper who was my Grandmother's brother.

From Here On The Grind Has Begun
Railroad Yards at Emden, Germany
May 15, 1943

This was getting a bit rugged. Three days in a row for the Group and two in a row for the Squadron. And this time Low Squadron of the Low Group in the Wing. Capt. Ball and Lt. Smith led the squadron of six planes, and nobody had to turn back early.

Going into the target things looked as though it was going to be a fairly weak mission. The target was reached, but haze, clouds and smoke prevented accurate visibility of the results. Just as the formation was turning away from the target area the flak started coming up - and it wasn't little boys throwing brickbats. Pulling out of Germany and across the Frisian Islands things started happening. Waiting low over the water near Bokum Isle, Focke Wulf's with a few Me 109's and Me 110's suddenly pulled up and followed the formation, taking cuts at our Squadron. Lt. Meli in 42-3173 Spare Ball, was flying the outside wing of the second element, and the enemy finally caught him about forty miles northeast of Borkum. He was first seen lagging out of formation, a possible result of flak hits, then he fell off into a slow spiral. No sooner was he out of formation than five Me 109's hopped him. Returning crews that five or six chutes were seen before the plane broke up about five hundred feet above the water.

But Lt. Meli was somewhat avenged. Lt. Peters was flying alongside him and, as some FW 190's crept in under the ship, S/Sgt. T.B. Dye of Lt. Peter's crew poured about 100 rounds into him, saw him burst into flames, go down, and hit the water. S/Sgt. Carl Pettus, in the waist of Capt. Ball's ship damaged another.

Randy Burton
Associate Member
351st Bomb Group Assoc.

The other young man we honor is my wife's uncle brother of her mother. His name is Robert C Soety from Erie, PA. He ended his time very young on a beach in Anzio Italy on May 1st 1944. I provided the photograph of young Robert to this website

Attachments

• short 2.jpg
    short 2.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 31463.jpg
    31463.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 346428.jpg
    346428.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 12

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. My father was a tail gunner on B17s out of England, He survived the war.
With all they knew of the odds I can't imagine the guts it took to climb aboard a bomber in that time for 25 missions. Unfortunately my great uncle couldn't even compete his first as he and his crew never set foot on the ground again after the start of their first mission. It was a time before the protection of fighter aircraft were implemented.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all they knew off the odds I can't imagine the guts it took to climb aboard a bomber in that time for 25 missions. Unfortunately my great uncle couldn't even compete his first as he and his crew never set foot on the ground again after the start of their first mission. It was a time before the protection of fighter aircraft were implemented.
Only 1 in 4 crew members on average survived the 25 missions required.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad,s best friend growing up was a ball turret gunner,B-17,also out of England.He too survived the war.Gone now,RIP,J.B.
I would not want to have been nose or belly gunner on B17, doors, the tail or the top would have been okay.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not want to have been nose or belly gunner on B17, doors, the tail or the top would have been okay.
J.B.Linder was his name,he was a little guy so he could fit in the ball turret. That,s how he got the job. He was a member of the hunting club my Dad belonged to and would often have nightmares about that. I grew up among WWII vets,my Dad included,I always thought nightmares were a normal occurrence since almost all of them had them at one time or another. Maybe that,s why I appreciate them so much more than most people.May they all rest in peace,they,re all gone now and I miss them. If I had to fly in a B-17,top turret would have been my choice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belly and nose turret would have been too cramped for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread