Merc.... Finally

metaldiggr

Feb 13, 2015
South Central Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been working for a Merc forever it seems. I found a Barber Dime a couple weeks ago, today, finally, I scored a 1920 Merc. Of course, with my luck, it's missing something. �� I'm thinking it got sucked up in a mower at some point. I've never so much as scratched anything I've dug, I really don't think I cut it. I searched the hole and there was nothing. I used the detector too and nothing showed. I'm happy none the less.

Attachments

• 20201206_171410.jpg
    20201206_171410.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 17

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, kinda special, your first cut coin. Did it have the same VDI as a regular dime?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Sliver!:hello2:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it took me four or five months of detecting to find my first merc. congrats on your first! It would be in really nice condition without that little chunk missing... I'm sure no one will notice... :laughing7:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You didn't cut that dime. I believe that dime was cut by a mower with one of those cylindrical drum blades (reel mower?) as opposed to the blades on mowers you often see today that are parallel to the ground. I've found several sliced silver dimes over the years, sometimes I find the other piece and sometimes not. One time I found all three pieces of a dime that was sliced in 3 in 3 different holes over 2 days! Keep looking around the area and you'll probably come across the other piece but due to its smaller size it'll probably read deeper than it really is and lower on your machine than a silver dime. Hope you can reunite that coin. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your merc' looks too clean cut to be a lawn mower victim. I've dug many lawn mower coins and the never looked like yours. Either way, it's still a nice find.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Currentโ€ฆ.Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Pastโ€ฆ.Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your merc' looks too clean cut to be a lawn mower victim. I've dug many lawn mower coins and the never looked like yours. Either way, it's still a nice find.

Agreed, way too clean. Either a reel mower or someone deliberately cut it for some reason. It feels good though doesnโ€™t it? Now...Mercs will show up all over the damn place, just watch. Once you get the first...more will soon follow. I have NO idea why itโ€™s this way, but almost always is.

OP
OP
metaldiggr

metaldiggr

Feb 13, 2015
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, kinda special, your first cut coin. Did it have the same VDI as a regular dime?

Surprisingly, yes! It was hitting at 12.44, every time something hits at that I think "Mercury dime?". Silver comes out of the ground looking so nice. I dig tons of copper with the associated grime, gotta love silver!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats - Barber dimes have been my nemesis - find literally everything else but only a hand full of barber dimes in my 30 years of detecting
really weird!

vp

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a 1923 merc in june then not another merc for 5 months when I found the more common date of 1943. My hf coil seems to miss these. Both were found with my stock 7.5 khz coil.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, My first piece of silver i ever found metal detecting was a 1920 Merc.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first Mercury Dime!
Hope you find that other piece...

OP
OP
metaldiggr

metaldiggr

Feb 13, 2015
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats - Barber dimes have been my nemesis - find literally everything else but only a hand full of barber dimes in my 30 years of detecting
really weird!

vp

It's not on the level as your gold $10 but I've been pretty snake-bit with Merc's so it's nice to finally find one.

I spend every weekend in the summer in the "PA Wilds", central PA. There's a lot of history in this state with associated stuff in the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread