What's new

Mercury Dimes

relichunters

Bronze Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
1,647
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Whats a normal price range of non-key date mercury dimes? I paid $4.00 with free shipping on ebay for the very first year one. Wasn't in amazing condition or anything, but all of the faces are still intact.

I don't want to overpay, so what's an average?

P.S. I am buying if anyone wants to sell. Their my favorite coin.
 
Thank you, so it looks like $2.51 is the melt value, so $4.00 is a decent price.
 
relichunters said:
Thank you, so it looks like $2.51 is the melt value, so $4.00 is a decent price.

For common date Mercs I wouldn't pay much of a premium over melt. Keep checking Craigslist and other sites and you can probably buy them by the roll for $2-2.50 each. I passed up on a bunch a few weeks back at $1.80 each. I wouldn't pay over melt for a Merc unless it is a decent date or high grade.

Others might disagree, but that's just what I pay. The last time I paid over face value for Mercs was a few years ago when I was buying them for 40 cents each.

Plus, I don't enjoy paying money for something that I can find in the ground, and when I'm finding about 50 of them a year, the jar of them adds up pretty quickly.
 
Go to your local bookstore/magazine store. Look for "Numismatic News" magazine or "Coin World" magazine. There are plenty of advertisers that will sell you merc dimes, then also look in the back of these magazines to see how much dealers are paying for mercs. Hope this helps you, keep digging :thumbsup:
 
I've only found 1 mercury dime while metal detecting, 1936. But I have a merc book that I want to fill up with every year and key date. However only one of them is a very rare, and goes for around $1,000 - $4,000.
 
relichunters said:
I've only found 1 mercury dime while metal detecting, 1936. But I have a merc book that I want to fill up with every year and key date. However only one of them is a very rare, and goes for around $1,000 - $4,000.

1921 and 1921-D are both nice ones as well.
 
The Mercury Dime is a very commonly found dime. So far this year I have found exactly as many Mercury Dimes as I Have Roosevelt dimes.

In 43 years of hunting I have as yet to find even one 1916-D Mercury out of literally thousands found to date, but I have been fortunate enough to find one 1921 Mercury dime graded MS60, One 1921-D Dime graded XF.

My father in law before he passed away had a beautiful solid American Walnut clock made with all inset Mercury dimes. It was left to me when he passed on and is for sure one of my most prized possessions.

When purchasing the Mercury dime , never give more then spot unless it is a key or semi key date. I personally have never purchased them unless a really good price was offered me. My problem is I never want to get rid of anything , so I just keep accumulating.

Rick IL
 
Same here I never want to sell anything either.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom