What's new

Metal arrowhead

texillian

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live out on an acreage in Central Texas, just south of Waco. Today while I was trenching for some irrigation pipe I'm installing, I ran across what appears to be a metallic arrowhead. I found it in approximately 4 inches of dirt and rocks.

The arrowhead seems to be metallic. The base is flat and unthreaded. From tip to base it's a little over 4 inches long.

I've scrubbed most of the dirt off and soaked it in some apple cider vinegar. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of oxidization, at least as I perceive it.

The "fins" don't seem to be machined. I say this because they appear to me to be a bit asymmetric and there are irregularities on all sides.

Enclosed are some pictures of the object.

I'm a complete amateur, so I'd love to get some observations from the members here.

12096435_10153697962354589_6452464008152689546_n.webp12075064_10153697962284589_6543759581948757571_n.webp76ed5c381a4dbb811bcb093e0603ce30.webp22c4007960cc5ce51a00c4a98e05d7b3.webpb79a7c58123c8d4e4d97b236a94c9e81.webp
 
Upvote 0
It looks like the tip of a spear, I don't know, just my guess. Great find though!:thumbsup:
 
Does appear to be a lance tip, maybe researching the weapons of the Conquistadors will give you some answers, congrats on a cool find! Sub 8-)
 
it appears to be wrought iron.the edges are uniform and flat,not meant to be sharp.I would guess finial for fence

1f1683c25639336d3de8f6e69aaa4eb2.webp...386080908_911.webp
 
It does not seem to be attracted by a magnet, for what that's worth. It definitely looks very similar to a finial for a fence, I agree bigfoot1.

Where this was found is quite a ways from where any fencing has existed, at least to our knowledge. We live out on the country on an acreage. Prior to it being an acreage (50+ years) it was part of a big ranch.

Also, the lack of any sort of threading on the base gives met pause, but perhaps it should not.
 
I agree with bigfoot 1. heavy for arrowhead.
 
A harpoon tip for little baby whales?
 
if non magnetic than perhaps spelter finial.also common for curtain rods.not being iron it is almost surely decorative
 
Well if that is the case, and it is a home or yard decoration, then welcome to a Texas tornado, which flings things for miles...like out into the middle of your acreage!
 
My family homestead is not too far from you, near Cranfills Gap. I have a box completely full of flint specimens from the property.

For the record, I also thought finial before scrolling down to see the other replies.

Regards,

TCK
 
Top of a weather vane or lightning rod
 
This would explain the non ferrous nature
 

Attachments

  • 1444267905453.webp
    1444267905453.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 83
ONE BIG BIG SPEAR HEAD ...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom