What's new

metal detecting and posture

Boilermaker27

Full Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2003
Messages
204
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
1
Location
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I've been detecting since the early seventies and I recently noticed something about my posture. I have a pair of bib overalls and I noticed that my left shoulder strap kept falling down and wondered why. I laid the bibs down and adjusted the left exactly the same as the right thinking this would solve the problem, well it didn't. One day at the mirror I noticed that my left shoulder was lower than my right shoulder, thus the reason for the falling strap. Thinking about this I quickly realized that being left handed and having used a detector for a long period of time, that when using the detector I strive to keep the detector as close to the ground as possible, in doing so it's necessary to droop the left shoulder, or right shoulder for that matter, in order to keep the detector close to the ground. I can't think of any other reason why my left shoulder is lower than my right. It is not real noticeable until looking in a mirror. Just wondering if some of you other guys might have the same problem.
 
Woman and only detecting last ten years, but have never noticed that problem. However, you might want to mention it to your doc just to make sure you don't have some spinal curvature or disc collapse happening.
 
Switch hands every now and then.
 
Maybe the muscles you use to droop that shoulder are stronger than the other side of your body and there's a natural pulling action on one side. If you can figure out which muscles are used you could strengthen them and maybe make a correction in posture. The VA doctors made me do something like that for a vertebrae problem in my neck. I wore heavy night vision monoculars on one side of my helmet for years and my neck is weaker on one side.
 
I'd say if it took 40 years to develop the imbalance, and there is no pain involved, stop looking in the mirror!
 
Beezly, thanks for making it back from the pointy end of the spear.
 
Started in the 70's too. I was always more concerned about neck or upper back pain from looking downward for hours when detecting. I did have some pain in the fifth and sixth vertebrae and had to get it corrected by a chiropractor. Haven't noticed any other issues but maybe I better look in the mirror...
 
I'd say if it took 40 years to develop the imbalance, and there is no pain involved, stop looking in the mirror!

Some comments just make me laugh.
 
It sounds like a "jelqing" effect has happened to your shoulder due to the repetitive motion that has occurred over the course of that many years. Similiar to that of the gravity effect on the twins of well aged males and the larger torpedos of well aged females.
You could try an "impact stretch" to even out your shoulders. This method is very effective and only requires a one time treatment. Hook a 100' rope up to your higher sitting shoulder's wrist and tie the other end to the bumper of a vehicle. Raise your wrist tied arm out towards the rear of the vehicle have have the driver "Floor It".
After you heal up, check it again in the mirror. it should equal out the shoulder plane.
 
Could be scoliosis, where the spine gets torqued out of its natural position. That can be congenital (born with it) or a postural thing occurring over time. Stretching certain opposing muscle groups can help. A Chiropractor is good option. Or, if it doesn't hurt, or make you look like Quasimodo, just leave it alone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom