California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a bored treasure hunter, watching this reality show, for how many seasons...?
And most of what has been found, has been near surface, located with a metal detector.
...like that crossbow bolt - it looked clean enough to shoot once again...!
Looking forward to that cofferdam project in completion. Then, the slow excavation of that U-shaped
structure...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is exactly what I was thinking. It looked in pretty good condition to be a piece of iron sitting in the ground for "100s" of years. Every piece of old junk they find must be spun into treasure hiders leaving it behind. That could of been part of a kids toy from 30 years ago....

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a picture of the crossbow bolt/quarrel? Was any of the wood shaft still present?

It should be very easy to date and narrow down to region from the head and style.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a picture of the crossbow bolt/quarrel? Was any of the wood shaft still present?

It should be very easy to date and narrow down to region from the head and style.

saved from screen capture

crossbow bolt.jpg

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
The preview for next week's show has the lab test run and saying it is "Roman". Didn't they get busted a few seasons ago claiming to have found a Roman knife or sword off the shore of Oak Island only to have it tested and faked ? :dontknow: Please do not quote me, I am just trying to remember something from quite a while back.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a bored treasure hunter, watching this reality show, for how many seasons...?
And most of what has been found, has been near surface, located with a metal detector.

Yep & Then he has the Gull to say it's So old, it belongs to Knights Templars.

Like the railroad Spike Before it.

Apparently nothing on this Island comes from the last few Treasure Hunters, Visitors or Residents,
and Only Knights Templars Left things there :BangHead:

Sorry , That's how they Finally convinced me they will Never Be even Partially Honest.

add to that, Does anyone Really Think the Masonic, Archie & Government Powers that Be,
Would allow anyone other then themselves even Bend over to Touch
a Piece of Metal on the Island, If Related to Knights Templars ?

I Don't.

I think it would go the way of Yellowstone National Park Etc. Here in the U.S.
land Confiscated.
Maybe even No Access at all, Being it's Not even U.S. Territory.

It's all about the Mighty Advertising $$$$

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was the whole bolt metal? That would be Chinese and of light draw weight if that's all there was to it. Put that on the end of a 300 lb pull crossbow and it would collapse on release.

European crossbow quarrels were finger diameter dowels with a heavy metal tip. The "bodkin" small tipped ones to pierce mail looked like the two on the left:

excellent-crossbow-bolt-head_1_a287b6b88657b01f48f1b607b0bc5d6c.jpg

On a wood shaft because to be stable in flight the front has to weigh more than the rear. Fletching optional.

The image you show above looks like a flax puller for redoing boat caulk and shaft packing. Was it iron? Damn good shape for 600 year old iron on a saltwater-surrounded island.

Presuming Medieval French . . .
5a4c1f8529dc4e96a77a96004ecfa2d7.jpg

Last edited:

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The preview for next week's show has the lab test run and saying it is "Roman". Didn't they get busted a few seasons ago claiming to have found a Roman knife or sword off the shore of Oak Island only to have it tested and faked ? :dontknow: Please do not quote me, I am just trying to remember something from quite a while back.

Yes, It came from Roman's Machine Shop

Your Bud Aurum

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up on that show midway through season 3. The story that started it all doesn't even sound like a good reason to dig the first 10 foot deep hole... And where is all the stuff they supposedly found?

It's not so much a "Docuseries" as it is a "Got You Series"

Last edited:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I too thought the crossbow bolt was in really good shape for it's supposed age and location found. I did land survey work for 12 years and thought the "bolt" could also be a chaining pin from years ago. The ones we used were about that size dia., about a foot long with a ring circle at the top and pointed at the bottom. No ring and the point is different but same idea.
I am not buying the boat spike they found before the bolt as being that old. As a surveyor we used boat spikes as survey points, so they could be more or less permanent as opposed to a wooden hub with a tack being temporary. They are about 3/4" square, 16" long with a stamped head that looks like a squared rivet. Put a punch mark in the top and you have a survey point when driven into the ground. We bought them new in the 70's/80's. They were iron and held up well for the 10 yrs. or so I used them but doubt they would make 1,000 yrs. Good luck.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too thought the crossbow bolt was in really good shape for it's supposed age and location found. I did land survey work for 12 years and thought the "bolt" could also be a chaining pin from years ago.
They have know idea weather it is a crossbow bolt... It does not look like any crossbow bolt that I have seen when looking on the internet (or others have found on the internet). The other metal spikes/hooks which Gary claims were from the 1700s were encrusted with rust. The "bolt" which they are speculating is ffrom back in the day when crossbows were used would be well before that and almost zero noticeable rust.

Just do a google image search on crossbow bolts and all the arrow heads look much different from that tiny "arrow" shaped head on that iron/steel spike.

I agree with you. That is most likely a piece of something else...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
When You Have The Opportunity To Visit A Pirate's Home...You Won't Find Tea Cups!

What would you expect to find on the property of a well know...Pirate!

Boarding Tools!

Pirate Boarding Pikes

Naval Boarding Pikes.jpg

Pirate Boarding Hooks

Naval Boarding Hooks.jpg

This was no...Tea Party!

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you expect to find on the property of a well know...Pirate!
More to the point... What would you expect to find on an island with a well known logging history?..... Logging Poles....:icon_thumleft:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
More to the point... What would you expect to find on an island with a well known logging history?..... Logging Poles....:icon_thumleft:

Logs...The whole Province is covered in Logs...Why would anybody waist their time...Harvesting Logs... on an Island of roughly 145 acres...With the difficulty of removing them!

I have a Wood Lot of the same dimension in Northern BC...I would consider it Small Potatoes...In Canada!

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Logs...The whole Province is covered in Logs...Why would anybody waist their time...Harvesting Logs... on an Island of roughly 145 acres...With the difficulty of removing them!

I have a Wood Lot of the same dimension in Northern BC...I would consider it Small Potatoes...In Canada!
There was a saw mill there once. Also people would have to move logs to clear the property to build on. As well as that they have already found theses parts of logging poles on the island before.

J.Steele believes the island was used to make naval stores in her book This would of had heaps of logs/trees being moved about.

https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/sawmill.html

On a related point the map shows the sawmill seems to be where they found those rocks with the holes in them.

Mr. Clarence Beamish built the saw mill in the early 1900's, using reinforced steel to strengthen the concrete pillars.
This would probably explain the rocks with the holes and spikes in them as well.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only question I have that I can not answer myself is who moved the large stones some of 10 or 20 tons in their exact locations to form Nolan's Cross or the Tree of Life. How did they do that? And why did they do that. Obviously someone cut stones on the Island but for what purpose? Are they the stones that are in the swamp covering an entrance into a vast tunnel system? Someone help me out with these questions? I need answers?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a saw mill there once. Also people would have to move logs to clear the property to build on. As well as that they have already found theses parts of logging poles on the island before.

On a related point the map shows the sawmill seems to be where they found those rocks with the holes in them.

This would probably explain the rocks with the holes and spikes in them as well.

If the rocks are still there...It could not have been much of...A Sawmill!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread